How Does Changing Planetary Size and Orbit Radius Affect Gravitational Forces?

In summary, the weight on a planet with the same mass per unit volume as Earth but with 10 times the radius would be 1/100 of the weight on Earth. For Kepler's findings, Newton would have concluded that the gravitational attraction between two masses is directly proportional to the square of the distance between them.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. Suppose you leave the solar system and arrive at a planet that has the same mass per unit volume as the Earth but has 10 times the Earth's radius. What would you weigh on this planet compared with what you weigh on Earth ??

2. Suppose that Kepler had found that the period of a planet's circular orbit is proportional to the square of the orbit radius. What conclusion would Newton have drawn concerning the dependence of the gravitational attraction on distance between two masses.

Homework Equations

F= -Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I use Newton's law of gravitational and get you weigh 1/100 (radius is 10, square is 100) as you do on Earth. I am wrong. So how should I approach this problem ?

2. Can you guys hint me how should I do this one ?

Physics news on Phys.org
nns91 said:

Homework Statement

1. Suppose you leave the solar system and arrive at a planet that has the same mass per unit volume as the Earth but has 10 times the Earth's radius. What would you weigh on this planet compared with what you weigh on Earth ??

2. Suppose that Kepler had found that the period of a planet's circular orbit is proportional to the square of the orbit radius. What conclusion would Newton have drawn concerning the dependence of the gravitational attraction on distance between two masses.

Homework Equations

F= -Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I use Newton's law of gravitational and get you weigh 1/100 (radius is 10, square is 100) as you do on Earth. I am wrong. So how should I approach this problem ?

2. Can you guys hint me how should I do this one ?

2 things changed. Radius and what else?

Radius change so mass will change too right ??

nns91 said:
Radius change so mass will change too right ??

Correct.

How does the total mass change with the radius if the density is a constant?

And of course the distance from the center changes directly with the radius.

Mass changes at the same rate as radius does. Right ?

nns91 said:
Mass changes at the same rate as radius does. Right ?

What is the formula for that?

So F= -Gm(10M)/ 100R^2 ??

nns91 said:
So F= -Gm(10M)/ 100R^2 ??

No what is the formula for the mass given the density?

Isn't that Mass = density * volume?

Oh yeah, I misunderstood you.

but how can this help with finding your weight ?

nns91 said:
Oh yeah, I misunderstood you.

but how can this help with finding your weight ?

What is the volume of a sphere again?

V= 4/3*pi*r^3

nns91 said:
V= 4/3*pi*r^3

So that means then that M ∝ r3 ?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is one of the fundamental forces of the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time around objects with mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with larger masses, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects like humans or animals.

3. Can gravity be stopped or reversed?

No, gravity cannot be stopped or reversed. It is a universal force that is always present and cannot be turned off. However, the effects of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as the lift of an airplane's wings, or the electromagnetic force between two objects.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This means that objects will accelerate towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. The amount of force that gravity exerts on an object is determined by its mass and the distance between the two objects.

5. How does gravity affect space and time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity affects the curvature of space and time. This means that the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars, can bend and warp the fabric of space-time, causing objects to follow curved paths. This also explains why time moves slower in areas with strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes.