Calculate Distance Above Earth's Surface: 1.4x Radius

In summary, the gravitational force on an object at a certain distance above the surface of the Earth is reduced to 18% of its value at Earth's surface. To determine this distance, the equation Gmm/r² is used, where G is a constant, m is the mass of the Earth, and r is the unknown distance. By setting this equation equal to 9/50 of the original value, the distance is found to be 1070 meters. However, the answer given in the book is 1.4 times the Earth's radius. This means that the distance is 1.4 times the Earth's radius or 1.4 Re, where Re represents the Earth's radius. It is unclear what the significance
Vesper89
At a certain distance above the surface of the Earth, the graviational force on an object is reduced to 18% of its value at Earth's surface. Determine this distance and express it as a multiple of Earth's radius.

FYI the Earth's mass is 5.98x10^24 kg
and the Earth's radius is 6.38x10^6 m

What I did was this: Gmm/r² = (Gmm/r²)(9/50) The left side is the gravitational force on the object at the surface of the Earth and the right side is %18 of that force (radius is unkown). Since Gmm is constant in both i came up with:

1/r² = 9/50r²
1/6.38x10^6 = 9/50r²
r = 1070m

But I don't understand what they mean in by a multiple of Earth's radius. In the back of my book the answer is 1.4 Re. Is my answer wrong? Or do I just need to take it another step? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
DO NOT PUT IN THOSE MEANINGLESS FIGURES! :grumpy:

Instead:
1. What is meant by a multiple?
In particular: In SYMBOLS, what is a multiple of the Earth's radius?

I assume its a ratio...in the back of the text the answer is 1.4 Re
(r subscript e...Radius earth) I'm not sure what it means or its significance:frown: .

What does it mean to multiply?

Do you think that has anything to do with the word "multiple"??

1. What is the formula for calculating distance above Earth's surface?

The formula for calculating distance above Earth's surface is: distance = 1.4 x radius - radius. This is based on the assumption that the distance is measured from the center of the Earth to the point above the surface.

2. What unit of measurement is typically used for distance above Earth's surface?

The unit of measurement typically used for distance above Earth's surface is kilometers (km). This is because the radius of the Earth is usually measured in kilometers.

3. How is the distance above Earth's surface related to altitude?

The distance above Earth's surface is directly related to altitude. Altitude refers to the height above a specific point on Earth's surface, while distance above Earth's surface refers to the distance from the center of the Earth. As altitude increases, so does the distance above Earth's surface.

4. Can the distance above Earth's surface vary at different points on the planet?

Yes, the distance above Earth's surface can vary at different points on the planet. This is because the Earth is not a perfect sphere and has irregularities in its shape, such as mountains and valleys. Therefore, the distance above Earth's surface may be slightly different at different points on the planet.

5. How is calculating distance above Earth's surface useful for scientific research?

Calculating distance above Earth's surface is useful for various scientific research purposes, such as studying the Earth's atmosphere, mapping the Earth's surface, and understanding the effects of gravity. It is also important for spacecraft and satellite missions, as their distance from the Earth's surface affects their trajectory and communication with Earth.