Gravitational Waves, Gravitons: Does Discovery Change Odds?

In summary, the confirmation of gravitational waves does not significantly affect the possibility or probability of discovering gravitons as a force carrying particle. While there is currently no way to properly quantify this aspect of gravity, it does not contradict the existence of gravitons as quanta of gravitational interactions.
ScientificMind
Now that we have confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, have the odds of discovering a force carrying particle changed? With my limited knowledge it kind of seems like if gravity is caused by the warping of space-time, which was confirmed by gravitational waves, would mean that there is no force carrying particle, but I also realize that with my level of understanding, I probably shouldn't trust my intuition. So, how does this new evidence affect the possibility/probability that gravitons exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
ScientificMind said:
Now that we have confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, have the odds of discovering a force carrying particle changed?
No.

ScientificMind said:
With my limited knowledge it kind of seems like if gravity is caused by the warping of space-time, which was confirmed by gravitational waves, would mean that there is no force carrying particle, but I also realize that with my level of understanding, I probably shouldn't trust my intuition.
This is not the case. Gravitons would be relevant in the quantum limit and the gravitational waves we observe are very far from this limit. There is no inherent contradiction in having gravitons as quanta of gravitational interactions. We just do not know how to properly perform this quantisation, but we did not know that before either.

Likes bcrowell

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were recently observed for the first time in 2015.

2. What are gravitons?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are believed to carry the force of gravity. They are predicted by some theories, such as string theory, but have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

3. How does the discovery of gravitational waves change our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of gravitational waves has confirmed a major prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity and has opened up a new way for us to study the universe. It also provides evidence for the existence of black holes and other massive objects that can produce these waves.

4. Will the discovery of gravitational waves lead to new technologies?

It is possible that the detection of gravitational waves could lead to new technologies, such as more sensitive detectors or new methods of communication. However, it is still too early to tell what practical applications may come from this discovery.

5. Does the discovery of gravitational waves change the likelihood of finding gravitons?

This discovery does not directly change the likelihood of finding gravitons, as they are still a hypothetical particle. However, it does provide more evidence for the existence of gravitational waves, which could potentially lead to further research and understanding of gravitons and the force of gravity.