Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Waves and Gravitons

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    Now that we have confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, have the odds of discovering a force carrying particle changed? With my limited knowledge it kind of seems like if gravity is caused by the warping of space-time, which was confirmed by gravitational waves, would mean that there is no force carrying particle, but I also realize that with my level of understanding, I probably shouldn't trust my intuition. So, how does this new evidence affect the possibility/probability that gravitons exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

This is not the case. Gravitons would be relevant in the quantum limit and the gravitational waves we observe are very far from this limit. There is no inherent contradiction in having gravitons as quanta of gravitational interactions. We just do not know how to properly perform this quantisation, but we did not know that before either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook