Ride Gravitational Waves to Increase Speed?

In summary, relativistic mass is not the source of gravity. The stress-energy tensor is the source of gravity.
wcivch
TL;DR Summary
Can you use conservation of momentum and gravitational waves to facilitate faster space travel?
This is my first post so I apologize if i am in error anywhere. I recently had a thought that I have had trouble confirming. Based on the following assumptions.

1.) As you accelerate an object near the speed of light it’s mass increases exponentially.
2.) Mass warps space time.
3.) Spacetime expands via gravitational waves at the speed of light.

Essentially what I was wondering is could you use an accelerator to move an object or particle (in a circle around the space craft) to approach the speed of light. The object would gain mass exponentially warping spacetime. Then stop accelerating the object and the relative mass would decrease causing spacetime to ripple outwards as it “corrects” the warping from the now gone mass. If you accelerated the craft, could you “ride” the gravitational wave to achieve much “faster” velocities?

Physics news on Phys.org
wcivch said:
Summary:: Can you use conservation of momentum and gravitational waves to facilitate faster space travel?

1.) As you accelerate an object near the speed of light it’s mass increases exponentially.
3.) Spacetime expands via gravitational waves at the speed of light.

(1) and (3) are incorrect. So any conclusions based on that are suspect.

(Changed thread prefix from "A" = Advanced/Graduate School level discussion to "B" = Basic level discussion.)

Vanadium 50 said:
(1) and (3) are incorrect. So any conclusions based on that are suspect.
Have I misunderstood relativistic mass? M= yMo. As well as the speed of gravity is the speed of light and gravitational waves propagate at that speed. Relativity showed that gravity was not instantaneous and that it’s effects were bound by the speed of light. Where am I missing something? Or maybe I’m just poorly describing?
https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/ESSAYS/Boughn/boughn.html

wcivch said:
Relativistic mass has been discarded for decades now, and even Einstein recommended against it about a century ago.

What does increase is energy and momentum

wcivch said:
The stress energy tensor curves space time, and the stress energy tensor includes energy and momentum. However, in some sense the curvature from the momentum undoes the curvature from the energy. So when both are increased you don’t get an increase in the spacetime curvature.

So this will not help surf a gravitational wave to higher speeds

Likes vanhees71, wcivch and Orodruin
wcivch said:
Have I misunderstood relativistic mass?
Yes. It is not the source of gravity. The stress-energy tensor is the source of gravity. But an object's stress-energy tensor is a frame-independent object. Relativistic mass is not.

wcivch said:
the speed of gravity is the speed of light and gravitational waves propagate at that speed
This is correct, but your (3) in your OP does not say what the quote just above says and is not correct.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

2. How can we ride gravitational waves?

In theory, it is possible to ride gravitational waves by harnessing their energy and using it to propel a spacecraft. However, this technology is still in its early stages of development and has not been tested in practice.

3. How fast can we travel with gravitational waves?

The speed at which we can travel with gravitational waves depends on the strength and frequency of the waves. In theory, it could potentially allow us to travel at speeds close to the speed of light.

4. What are the potential benefits of riding gravitational waves?

Riding gravitational waves could significantly decrease travel time between distant locations in space, making interstellar travel more feasible. It could also provide a new method for studying and observing distant objects in the universe.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with riding gravitational waves?

There are currently no known risks associated with riding gravitational waves, but as with any new technology, there may be unforeseen consequences that need to be carefully studied and addressed before implementing it for space travel.