Is There a Solution for a Particle Falling into a Gravitational Well?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a function x(t) that describes a particle falling into a gravitational well. The differential equation for this problem is F = m*(dx^2/dt^2) = -GMm/x^2, which simplifies to dx^2/dt^2=-GM/x^2 or x''(t)=-k/x^2. It is mentioned that this problem is similar to solving the nonlinear pendulum equation and an approximate solution is provided. However, it is noted that there is no simple solution for x''(t) proportional to x^-a with a > 0.
kairama15
Hello, I am trying to find a function x(t) that describes a particle falling into a gravitational well from a certain distance. So, for example, I am trying to figure out the differential equation: F = m*(dx^2/dt^2) = -GMm/x^2.

Or simply, dx^2/dt^2=-GM/x^2

or even more simply,
x''(t)=-k/x^2 where k is a constant.

Does anyone know how to solve this or if it is even possible? I cannot find any resources online for this problem, but I feel like such a simple differential equation would have been attempted or successfully solved by now...

Or is there an easier way to solve this problem - finding x(t) in the gravitational well.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia has formulas and also some description how to get them.
Unfortunately x(t) doesn't have a nice expression. t(x) works better but it is still messy.

kairama15 said:
Hello, I am trying to find a function x(t) that describes a particle falling into a gravitational well from a certain distance. So, for example, I am trying to figure out the differential equation: F = m*(dx^2/dt^2) = -GMm/x^2.

Or simply, dx^2/dt^2=-GM/x^2

or even more simply,
x''(t)=-k/x^2 where k is a constant.

Does anyone know how to solve this or if it is even possible? I cannot find any resources online for this problem, but I feel like such a simple differential equation would have been attempted or successfully solved by now...

Or is there an easier way to solve this problem - finding x(t) in the gravitational well.

Thanks for any help!

If I recall correctly, you can use the same techniques that are used to solve the nonlinear pendulum equation. In particular, you can start with the differential equation:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{GM}{x^{2}}[/itex]

Multiply by [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] on both sides:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}\frac{dx}{dt}=-\frac{GM}{x^{2}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

and show that these are actually total time derivatives of a more complicated function:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\Big[\frac{1}{2}\Big(\frac{dx}{dt}\Big)^{2}\Big]=\frac{d}{dt}\Big[\frac{GM}{x}\Big][/itex]

Then, you can integrate the equation and solve it (easier said than done). An approximate solution starting with a stationary particle, and letting it fall, would give a radial coordinate [itex]r(t)[/itex] that goes approximately as:

[itex]r(t)\approx r_{0}\Big(1-\Big(\frac{9GM}{r_{0}^{3}}\Big)t^{2}\Big)^{1/3}[/itex]

The approximation is valid for times small compared to the time it takes to fall to the center of the earth, but should still be better than the parabolic curves taught in elementary kinematics.

Actually, there doesn't seem to exist a simple solution for any ##x''(t)\propto x^{-a}## with ##a>0##.

I remember this was an exercise in some 2nd year classical mechanics course I attended many years ago, probably as a demonstration of how limited our set of named special functions is in describing even some simple physical problems like this.

1. What is a gravitational well position?

A gravitational well position is a point in space where the force of gravity is at its strongest due to the mass of an object, such as a planet or star, pulling matter towards it.

2. How is gravitational well position calculated?

Gravitational well position is calculated using the equation GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the center of the object.

3. What determines the depth of a gravitational well position?

The depth of a gravitational well position is determined by the mass of the object. Objects with larger masses have deeper gravitational wells, while objects with smaller masses have shallower gravitational wells.

4. How does gravitational well position affect objects in space?

Objects in space, such as planets and satellites, orbit around the gravitational well position of a larger object. The closer an object is to the gravitational well position, the stronger the gravitational pull and the faster the object will orbit.

5. Can gravitational well position change?

Yes, gravitational well position can change if the mass of the object changes or if the distance from the object changes. For example, if a planet loses mass, its gravitational well position will become shallower.