Gravitationally accelerated electron

• Thread starter ardenbook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary: I thought I did. Yes, it damps. No, gravity is not a real four-vector force. However the spacetime curvature is expressed by a tensor. That is what is real and has real gravitational effects on nonlocal experiments including this one. That level of equivalence is only a statement about local experiments and as such does not apply.
ardenbook
If I drill a hole through the center of a motionless asteroid,
and drop a charged object down it, If the hole goes all the way through,
the particle will oscillate, speeding up as it moves towards the center,
and slowing down as it moves away. If radiating, we'd expect the
oscillations to dampen as some gravitational potential energy gets
irreversibly converted. But according to "equivalence principle",
the charged object is in free-fall and should not feel any gravity,
then it should not radiate.
If not radiating, oscillations wouldn't dampen.
So which one is true, dampen or not dampen ??

Physics news on Phys.org
ardenbook said:
If I drill a hole through the center of a motionless asteroid,
and drop a charged object down it, If the hole goes all the way through,
the particle will oscillate, speeding up as it moves towards the center,
and slowing down as it moves away. If radiating, we'd expect the
oscillations to dampen as some gravitational potential energy gets
irreversibly converted. But according to "equivalence principle",
the charged object is in free-fall and should not feel any gravity,
then it should not radiate.
If not radiating, oscillations wouldn't dampen.
So which one is true, dampen or not dampen ??

That is not "what" the equivalence principle says. Radiation is a far field effect. The field of the electron extends to a global scale. The experiment is intrinsically nonlocal. See section 2 of chapter 7 at
http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap7.htm#BM7_2

DW said:
That is not "what" the equivalence principle says. Radiation is a far field effect. The field of the electron extends to a global scale. The experiment is intrinsically nonlocal. See section 2 of chapter 7 at
http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap7.htm#BM7_2

Can you tell me if it dampen or not dampen ??
If it dampens, then the radiating energy comes from gravity and
shows that gravity is a force.
But in GR, we were taught that gravity is not a force and objects move in geodesic if no other force acts on it.

ardenbook said:
Can you tell me if it dampen or not dampen ??
If it dampens, then the radiating energy comes from gravity and
shows that gravity is a force.
But in GR, we were taught that gravity is not a force and objects move in geodesic if no other force acts on it.

I thought I did. Yes, it damps. No, gravity is not a real four-vector force. However the spacetime curvature is expressed by a tensor. That is what is real and has real gravitational effects on nonlocal experiments including this one. That level of equivalence is only a statement about local experiments and as such does not apply.

1. What is a gravitationally accelerated electron?

A gravitationally accelerated electron is an electron that is moving due to the force of gravity. This force causes the electron to accelerate towards a more massive object, such as a planet or star.

2. How does the acceleration of an electron due to gravity compare to its acceleration in an electric field?

The acceleration of an electron due to gravity is much smaller compared to its acceleration in an electric field. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is much weaker than the electrical force between particles.

3. Can a gravitationally accelerated electron escape from a black hole?

Yes, a gravitationally accelerated electron can escape from a black hole if it has enough energy. However, the escape velocity from a black hole is very high, making it difficult for any object to escape, including electrons.

4. How does the gravitational acceleration of an electron affect its energy?

The gravitational acceleration of an electron does not directly affect its energy. However, the electron's energy can change if it is moving in a gravitational field, as its potential energy may increase or decrease depending on its position.

5. What is the relationship between the mass of an electron and its gravitational acceleration?

The mass of an electron does not affect its gravitational acceleration. All objects, regardless of their mass, experience the same acceleration due to gravity in a given gravitational field. This is described by the universal law of gravitation.