Gravitationally bound galaxies

In summary: that doesn't really make sense, because if they weren't gravitationally bound, there would be no cluster, to start with, to disperse
nmsurobert
How do we know if galaxies are gravitationally bound?

I'm guessing it obviously has something to do with the mass of each galaxy in the cluster, but is there an equation that is used to determine when they are bound to each other? Is there some kind of measurement made regarding the velocity of the galaxy?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:

I'm guessing it obviously has something to do with the mass of each galaxy in the cluster, but is there an equation that is used to determine when they are bound to each other? Is there some kind of measurement made regarding the velocity of the galaxy?
typing your Q into google got this from Wiki ...

Observational methods[edit]
220px-Galaxy_Cluster_LCDCS-0829.jpg

Galaxy Cluster LCDCS-0829 acting like a giant magnifying glass. This strange effect is called gravitational lensing.
Clusters of galaxies have been found in surveys by a number of observational techniques and have been studied in detail using many methods:

• Optical or infrared: The individual galaxies of clusters can be studied through optical or infrared imaging and spectroscopy. Galaxy clusters are found by optical or infrared telescopes by searching for overdensities, and then confirmed by finding several galaxies at a similar redshift. Infrared searches are more useful for finding more distant (higher redshift) clusters.
  • X-ray: The hot plasma emits X-rays that can be detected by X-ray telescopes. The cluster gas can be studied using both X-ray imaging and X-ray spectroscopy. Clusters are quite prominent in X-ray surveys and along with AGN are the brightest X-ray emitting extragalactic objects.
  • Radio: A number of diffuse structures emitting at radio frequencies have been found in clusters. Groups of radio sources (that may include diffuse structures or AGN) have been used as tracers of cluster location. At high redshift imaging around individual radio sources (in this case AGN) has been used to detect proto-clusters (clusters in the process of forming).
  • Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect: The hot electrons in the intracluster medium scatter radiation from the cosmic microwave background through inverse Compton scattering. This produces a "shadow" in the observed cosmic microwave background at some radio frequencies.
  • Gravitational lensing: Clusters of galaxies contain enough matter to distort the observed orientations of galaxies behind them. The observed distortions can be used to model the distribution of dark matter in the cluster.

Last edited:
Likes nmsurobert
davenn said:
typing your Q into google got this from Wiki ...
Ah awesome. I tried googling some answers but I couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Likes davenn
nmsurobert said:
Ah awesome. I tried googling some answers but I couldn't find anything. Thanks.
did that give you the answer you were after ?

davenn said:
did that give you the answer you were after ?

yeah... to an extent. it'll do though.

I teach a high school astro class. while i was setting up an assignment i could already hear a couple of my students asking what i asked lol.

Likes davenn
Likes davenn
nmsurobert said:
One can address that issue by working out how long it would take a galaxy to fall apart if it was not gravitationally bound. One finds for most galaxies a time much less than the age of the Universe. Since galaxies can be seen over most of the age of the Universe, one concludes that their persistence means that they are gravitationally bound.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
lpetrich said:
One can address that issue by working out how long it would take a galaxy to fall apart if it was not gravitationally bound. One finds for most galaxies a time much less than the age of the Universe. Since galaxies can be seen over most of the age of the Universe, one concludes that their persistence means that they are gravitationally bound.

Did you actually read the OP ?

It is about 2 or more galaxies being gravitationally bound to each other, not gravity within a particular galaxy

so this comment of yours is totally irrelevant ...

One can address that issue by working out how long it would take a galaxy to fall apart if it was not gravitationally bound.
Dave

The same argument applies for galaxies in a cluster. In the absence of gravity, how long would it be before the clustered galaxies disperse?

lpetrich said:
In the absence of gravity, how long would it be before the clustered galaxies disperse?
that doesn't really make sense, because if they weren't gravitationally bound, there would be no cluster, to start with, to disperse

This thread has answers, let's tie it off at this point. Thanks everyone.

Likes davenn

1. What is a gravitationally bound galaxy?

A gravitationally bound galaxy is a collection of stars, gas, and dust held together by the force of gravity. These galaxies are typically spiral or elliptical in shape and can range in size from a few hundred million to trillions of stars.

2. How do galaxies become gravitationally bound?

Galaxies become gravitationally bound through the process of accretion, where smaller objects such as gas clouds and smaller galaxies are pulled in by the gravity of a larger galaxy. Over time, these objects merge and form a larger, gravitationally bound galaxy.

3. What factors affect the stability of a gravitationally bound galaxy?

The stability of a gravitationally bound galaxy is affected by the amount of dark matter present, the distribution of matter within the galaxy, and the gravitational interactions between neighboring galaxies. These factors can determine the overall shape and structure of a galaxy.

4. Can gravitationally bound galaxies merge?

Yes, gravitationally bound galaxies can merge through a process called galactic cannibalism. When two galaxies come close enough to each other, their gravitational forces can cause them to merge and form a larger, more massive galaxy.

5. What is the future of gravitationally bound galaxies?

The future of gravitationally bound galaxies is still uncertain. Some theories suggest that galaxies will continue to merge and form larger structures, while others propose that the expansion of the universe will eventually cause all galaxies to drift apart. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the fate of gravitationally bound galaxies.