Gravitational Lensing: Accretion Discs Around Black Holes

• Thread starter charlespune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lensing
In summary, the conversation discusses the lensing of light from accretion discs around black holes, specifically the Kerr and Schwarzschild black holes. The question is asked about whether the lensing is strong for radii near the minimum inner radius of the accretion disc and how the accretion disc would appear to a distant observer. The person is also looking for papers and articles, particularly with a focus on mathematical aspects, for a project on the topic. A suggestion is provided to use an astrophysics journal article search engine like ADS to find relevant papers.
charlespune
Actually i want know about the lensing of light from accretion disc around a black hole(kerr and schwarschild). Is the lensing is strong for radie near minimum inner radius of accretion disc.
I want know how the accretion disc will look like for a distant observer.

Can somebody give me some papers or articles for the question especilly for the final part.
I am doing a project on it. actually i need more mathematical stuff

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
charlespune said:
Actually i want know about the lensing of light from accretion disc around a black hole(kerr and schwarschild). Is the lensing is strong for radie near minimum inner radius of accretion disc.
I want know how the accretion disc will look like for a distant observer.

Can somebody give me some papers or articles for the question especilly for the final part.
I am doing a project on it. actually i need more mathematical stuff

I suggest that you google it.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/36161/description/Milky_Ways_black_hole_seen_in_new_detail

I'd avoid Google, since you are after the details, unless maybe you use Google scholar. The best approach would be to use http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html" astrophysics journal article search engine. Almost all the hits you get will have a link to the free ArXiv version of the papers, so you don't have to have journal subscriptions to view them.

I put in 'kerr lensing disk' and got a bunch of papers that looked they might be relevant for you.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Wallace
thank you, thank you very much.

What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravitational field of a massive object, such as a black hole, bends and distorts the path of light passing near it. This results in the appearance of multiple images of a single object or a distorted and magnified view of a more distant object.

How does gravitational lensing occur around black holes?

In the case of black holes, gravitational lensing occurs when light from a more distant object passes close to the black hole's event horizon (the point of no return). The intense gravitational pull of the black hole warps the space-time around it, causing the light to bend and follow a curved path.

What is an accretion disc?

An accretion disc is a disk-shaped structure formed by gas and dust that is falling into a central object, such as a black hole. In the case of black holes, the gas and dust are pulled in by the strong gravitational force, forming a swirling disc around the black hole.

How does the accretion disc affect gravitational lensing around black holes?

The accretion disc around a black hole can further amplify the gravitational lensing effect. As the gas and dust in the disc spiral towards the black hole, they release a tremendous amount of energy in the form of radiation. This radiation can bend and distort the light passing through it, creating even more pronounced lensing effects.

What can we learn from studying gravitational lensing around black holes?

Studying gravitational lensing around black holes can provide valuable insights into the nature of black holes and the surrounding environment. By analyzing the distorted images and light curves produced by the lensing, scientists can estimate the mass and spin of the black hole, as well as the properties of the accretion disc and any surrounding matter. This can help us better understand the dynamics of black holes and their role in the evolution of galaxies.