What are the implications of GR that are not captured by gravitomagnetism?

• Thread starter ohwilleke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, GR implies, under certain conditions, that gravity has a component akin to the magnetic force in electromagnetic theory. This is known as gravitomagnetism and has additional effects not predicted by the simple Newtonian approximation. However, there are important implications of GR that are not captured by gravitomagnetism, such as the existence of black holes, gravitational lensing, and clock effects. In order to fully understand these phenomena, one must consider the full theory of general relativity.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
Many physicists agree that GR implies, under certain conditions, that gravity has a component, which if gravity is viewed as the analog of the electric force, is analogous to the magnetic force under a set of equations similar to Maxwell's equations. See e.g. http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0207065 Thus, a moving mass has additional effects not predicted by the simple Newtonian approximation. This gravitomagnetism effect is also know as "frame dragging." It also seems to imply that there are some clock effects to gravity even under this quasi-Maxwellian formulation.

My question is, what are the most important implications of GR which are not captured by gravitomagnetism?

One that seems obvious is that GR would apply to photons, while gravitomagnetism would seem not to, but it isn't intuitively obvious how much else the more sophisticated by classical gravitomagnetic expression fails to capture, and that one deviation, by itself, is a fairly trivial correction.

The referenced article is:

Matteo Luca Ruggiero and Angelo Tartaglia, "Gravitomagnetic Effects", To appear in Nuovo Cim. 117B (2002) 743-768

Abstract:

This paper contains a review of the theory and practice of gravitomagnetism, with particular attention to the different and numerous proposals which have been put forward to experimentally or observationally verify its effects. The basics of the gravitoelectromagnetic form of the Einstein equations is expounded. Then the Lense-Thirring and clock effects are described, reviewing the essentials of the theory. Space based and Earth based experiments are listed. Other effects, such as the coupling of gravitomagnetism with spin, are described and orders of magnitude are considered to give an idea of the feasibility of actual experiments.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ohwilleke said:
Many physicists agree that GR implies, under certain conditions, that gravity has a component, which if gravity is viewed as the analog of the electric force, is analogous to the magnetic force under a set of equations similar to Maxwell's equations.
I know of nobody who accepts GR who doesn't think that there is an analogy with EM. This analogy is strongest in the weak field approximation. A nice aticle on this is

Analogy between general relativity and electromagnetism for slowly moving particles in weak gravitational fields, Edward G. Harris, Am. J. Phys. 59, 421 (1991)

My question is, what are the most important implications of GR which are not captured by gravitomagnetism?
One that comes to mind is that pressure is a source of gravity in full-fledged GR. In gravitomagnetism the contributions of Tjk (stress/pressure) are assumed to be neglegible.
One that seems obvious is that GR would apply to photons, while gravitomagnetism would seem not to, ..
That is incorrect. Mass is considered to be a gravitational charge and since light has mass (since it has energy) it has a gravitational charge. For details on this point see Rindler's new SR/GR text.

Thanks for the reference!

Pete

On a possibly related note,
there is a curious equation in Hawking/Ellis (p. 85) that has always intrigued me. Sometimes these are called "quasi-maxwellian equations".
...the Bianchi Identities
[tex]R_{ab[cd;e]}=0[/tex]
They can be rewritten as
[tex]C^{abcd}{}_{;d}=J^{abc}[/tex] (4.28)
where [tex] J^{abc}=R^{c[a;b]}+\frac{1}{6}g^{c[b}R^{;a]}.[/tex] (4.29)
These equations are rather similar to Maxwell's equations in electrodynamics:
[tex]F^{ab}{}_{;b}=J^a[/tex]
where [tex]F^{ab} [/tex] is the electromagnetic field tensor and [tex]J^a[/tex] is the source current. Thus in a sense one could regard the Bianchi Identities (4.28) as field equations for the Weyl tensor giving that part of the curvature at a point that depends on the matter distribution at other points.
I've been toying around with that J-tensor but haven't found a satisfactory physical and geometric interpretation for it. Has anyone enountered this J-tensor or the quasi-Maxwellian equations?

Last edited:
pmb_phy said:
One that comes to mind is that pressure is a source of gravity in full-fledged GR. In gravitomagnetism the contributions of Tjk (stress/pressure) are assumed to be neglegible.

Yes, this is what flows from the equations, but what observable consequences of this difference flow from the difference?

ohwilleke said:
Yes, this is what flows from the equations, but what observable consequences of this difference flow from the difference?
As I said, its source of gravity. Therefore more pressure - more gravity - stronger gravitational field

ohwilleke said:
Many physicists agree that GR implies, under certain conditions, that gravity has a component, which if gravity is viewed as the analog of the electric force, is analogous to the magnetic force under a set of equations similar to Maxwell's equations. See e.g. http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0207065 Thus, a moving mass has additional effects not predicted by the simple Newtonian approximation. This gravitomagnetism effect is also know as "frame dragging." It also seems to imply that there are some clock effects to gravity even under this quasi-Maxwellian formulation.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. Perhaps if you explained what the most important implications of electromagnetic theory that are not captured by magnetism were, I could give an answer to your question.

pervect said:
I'm not really sure what you're looking for. Perhaps if you explained what the most important implications of electromagnetic theory that are not captured by magnetism were, I could give an answer to your question.

For example, Maxwell's equations do not predict tunnelling or observer dependent behavior which are the epitome of QED.

The sort of things I'm trying to sort out are e.g.:

Can you get black holes with just gravitomagnetism, or do you need GR to get that result?

I would think, that as long as energy was considered mass, that you would get lensing.

I have read, that gravitomagnetism is not sufficient, without GR, to explain why the precession of Mercury is incorrect under Newtonian theory, although it isn't entirely obvious to me why that is the case (I don't see an influence through the lack of pressure terms, but maybe I'm missing something).

I know that gravitomagnetism implies some kinds of clock effects, but I wonder if there aren't other clock effects which you need full GR to detect.

This is what I am getting at.

ohwilleke said:
I have read, that gravitomagnetism is not sufficient, without GR, to explain why the precession of Mercury is incorrect under Newtonian theory, ..
Where did you read that?

Pete

ohwilleke said:
For example, Maxwell's equations do not predict tunnelling or observer dependent behavior which are the epitome of QED.

The closest anaology here is that GR doesn't predict quantum effects either, you need quantum gravity for that - unfortunately, we don't have a full theory of quantum gravity, though we can do some quantum theory in curved space-time (this does not fully quantize gravity, though).

The sort of things I'm trying to sort out are e.g.:

Can you get black holes with just gravitomagnetism, or do you need GR to get that result?

I don't quite understand how you've mentally split off gravitomagnetism from the rest of GR. It's a bit like splitting off magnetism from electromagnetism. If I pursue that anology to it's logical extent, you'd get rid of the columb force between stationary charges as not being "magnetic", so you'd likewise get rid of the gravitational force between stationary masses as not being gravitomagnetic. But that doesn't seem to be what you're doing...

pervect said:
I don't quite understand how you've mentally split off gravitomagnetism from the rest of GR. It's a bit like splitting off magnetism from electromagnetism. If I pursue that anology to it's logical extent, you'd get rid of the columb force between stationary charges as not being "magnetic", so you'd likewise get rid of the gravitational force between stationary masses as not being gravitomagnetic. But that doesn't seem to be what you're doing...
There is a bit of an inconsistency between EM and gravitomagnetism. In EM q is charge and the analogous quantity to q in gravitomagnetism is relativistic mass, M. But the active gravitational charge of the moving body is not M, its [itex]M(1+\beta^2)[/itex].

Gravitomagnetism is merely an approximation to GR - Period. It is not a different theory. Its the same theory, but you're simply dealing with weaker fields, low pressure sources and 'slowly' moving bodies.

Note: Slowly only means that [itex]\beta^2[/itex] are omitted but not the [itex]\beta[/itex] terms. In the Newtonian approximation each is omitted. Thus in the Newtonian approximation the gravitational force is not a function of velocity. In gravitomagnetism the gravitational force (gravitomagnetic + gravitoelectric) is a linear function of velocity and in full GR the gravitational force is a quadradic function of velocity.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Thus in the Newtonian approximation the gravitational force is not a function of velocity. In gravitomagnetism the gravitational force (gravitomagnetic + gravitoelectric) is a linear function of velocity and in full GR the gravitational force is a quadradic function of velocity.

This is really helpful.

1. What is gravitomagnetism?

Gravitomagnetism is a concept in General Relativity (GR) that describes the gravitational effects of a moving mass on the surrounding spacetime. It is similar to the way a moving electric charge creates a magnetic field in electromagnetism.

2. How is gravitomagnetism related to GR?

Gravitomagnetism is a consequence of the curvature of spacetime predicted by GR. It arises due to the presence of mass and its motion, just as electromagnetic fields arise from the presence of electric charges and their motion.

3. Can gravitomagnetism be observed?

Yes, the effects of gravitomagnetism have been observed in various astrophysical systems, such as binary star systems and rotating black holes. However, these effects are very small and difficult to measure, so they are not as well-studied as other phenomena in GR.

4. How does gravitomagnetism affect the orbit of planets?

Gravitomagnetism has a very small effect on the orbit of planets in our solar system. It is only significant for objects with very large masses and high velocities, such as black holes and neutron stars.

5. Is gravitomagnetism important for everyday life?

No, the effects of gravitomagnetism are only relevant in extreme environments, such as near massive, rotating objects in space. In our everyday lives, the effects of gravity can be accurately described by Newton's law of gravitation.