New to Graviton & Doppler Shift: Need Help Understanding

In summary, kevinrichart proposed that the graviton may display a doppler shift due to the gravitational field, and that this shift may be detected through gravitational lensing. However, the Graviton has not been observed to display any such shift, and may instead be a result of the matter/gravity structure of space.
kevinrichart
I am new at this so I hope you all will excuse me if I am stupid. But I got this idea about the graviton. If it is a wave then it should display some sort of doppler shift when it moves with respect to the observer.
So there it is , somebody tell me why I am dumb.

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinrichart said:
But I got this idea about the graviton. If it is a wave then it should display some sort of doppler shift when it moves with respect to the observer.

Welcome to PhysicsForums, kevinrichart!

If the graviton exists (which is an open question), then it is a quantum particle/wave. Photons exhibit a slight frequency shift in the presence of a gravitational field, but I am not sure if gravitons would shift in the presence of a photon or other fields. If it did, it would be extremely small in size. Since gravitons are too weak to be detected individually (assuming they exist), it wouldn't look good for seeing any frequency shift.

Does that answer your question? I am not an expert on graviton theories.

if gravity is a wave then it can be described by wave mechanics but no gravity waves have ever been found. The largest detector, which is in Germany, is plagued by interference which cannot be accounted for. However, the frequency range of the interference closely matches predictions relating to the holographic principle, so in their search for gravity they may have unwittingly made a far more fundamental discovery...the pixels of the universe?

kevinrichart said:
I am new at this so I hope you all will excuse me if I am stupid. But I got this idea about the graviton. If it is a wave then it should display some sort of doppler shift when it moves with respect to the observer.
So there it is , somebody tell me why I am dumb.

I'm thinking that the doppler shift for the graviton would be detected through gravitational lensing somehow.

With sounds, the doppler shift is due to compressed soundwave as the train approaches you and expanded soundwave as the train leaves you. With light ("red shift"), the same principle applies, only the lightsource moving closer to you appears more bluish, and after it passes you, will appear more reddish.

The presence of matter (and hence gravity/gravitons) determines the structure of space. Therefore, any disturbance of this space must be accounted for by a disturbance of the graviton wave. For this reason, I'd think that the graviton and gravitational lensing are keenly tied for the purpose of detection.

You know what? After re-reading this post of mine, I find that I'm damn good at mastering the obvious!

1. What is the Graviton?

The Graviton is a hypothetical particle that is believed to be responsible for the force of gravity in the universe. It has not yet been directly observed or proven to exist, but it is an important concept in the study of gravity and the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does the Graviton work?

The Graviton is thought to work by interacting with other particles and objects, causing the force of gravity between them. It is believed to have a spin of 2 and no mass, but these characteristics are still being studied and explored by scientists.

3. What is the Doppler Shift?

The Doppler Shift is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This can be observed with sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves.

4. How does the Doppler Shift relate to the Graviton?

The Doppler Shift can be used to study the effects of gravity on light waves, which can provide insights into the presence and behavior of the Graviton. By analyzing the Doppler Shift of light from distant objects, scientists can gather information about gravitational interactions and potentially detect the presence of Gravitons.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the Graviton and Doppler Shift?

Understanding the Graviton and Doppler Shift can have many practical applications, such as improving our understanding of gravity and the formation of the universe, developing new technologies for space exploration and communication, and predicting and studying the behavior of celestial objects like planets and stars.