Gravitational Force and the Endless Supply of Massless Particles

In summary: It seems the particles are emitted, but then the force attracting them back comes into play.In summary, Vanadium explains that gravitational and electrostatic force are caused by virtual particles which are not actual particles. Force carrier particles aren't literal particles that go streaming out from an object to exert a force. Matter never exhausts or seems to reduce its supply of force carrier particles. It is difficult to explain, but the simplest answer is that these carrier particles are closer to a convenient way of looking at the math than actual particles. The electromagnetic and gravitational interactions are continual processes that display no particle-like behavior outside of E&M waves.
Chris Miller
If gravitational force is caused by a particle (tensor boson) which is massless and so travels at c, why doesn't matter ever exhaust, or even seem to reduce, its supply of these particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Force carrier particles aren't literal particles that go streaming out from an object to exert a force. It's very difficult to explain, but the simplest answer I can give you is that these carrier particles are closer to a convenient way of looking at the math than actual particles.

Chris Miller said:
If gravitational force is caused by a particle (tensor boson) which is massless and so travels at c, why doesn't matter ever exhaust, or even seem to reduce, its supply of these particles?

If the electrostatic force is caused by a particle (photon) which is massless and so travels at c, why doesn't a charged object ever exhaust, or even seem to reduce its supply of these particles?

I expect the answer to the gravitational case is the same (or very similar) to the electrostatic case, which is that the "force-carrying particles" are "virtual" ones, i.e. artifacts of a certain procedure (the "perturbation expansion") for calculating the effects of those forces. In the electrostatic case, there are other ways of doing the calculation (at least in principle) besides using virtual photons, so the virtual photons aren't "necessary." I expect the situation is similar with the gravitational case.

I think it's also clear that you can't treat gravitons as regular particles by the sheer fact that even though they move with c *away* from the heavy object, their effect is to *pull* at whatever they meet.

rumborak said:
I think it's also clear that you can't treat gravitons as regular particles by the sheer fact that even though they move with c *away* from the heavy object, their effect is to *pull* at whatever they meet.

They don't even *move*, as they're virtual particle in this context, not real particles.

True, but any change will propagate with c away from the source. That could be conceived to be a particle-like property, i.e. an indication that there is a constant "stream" (not that it is, just saying).

Honestly, I myself am still uncomfortably vague about the nature of particles. I understand they are excitations of a field, but whenever I think I'm getting a good mental handle on them, there's an aspect to it that confuses me again. Like for example virtual particles.

That's fair, but maybe your shouldn't attempt to explain them to others until you are comfortable and no longer confused.

rumborak said:
True, but any change will propagate with c away from the source. That could be conceived to be a particle-like property, i.e. an indication that there is a constant "stream" (not that it is, just saying).

If so, then you could ask, "What rate are they being emitted?" But that concept makes no sense when it comes to virtual, force carrying particles. The electromagnetic and gravitational interactions are continual processes that display no particle-like behavior outside of E&M waves.

Thank you all very much for your clarifications and musings. (Actually, Vanadium, hearing from the similarly "confused" is helpful, or at least interesting.)

I like your explanation, Drakkith. Almost seems to say the math is defining more than describing reality. It jives with what I've read since posting my admittedly unenlightened question: that virtual particles aren't particles at all, but disturbances in fields. As Matt Strassler puts it: "A particle is a nice, regular ripple in a field, one that can travel smoothly and effortlessly through space, like a clear tone of a bell moving through the air. A 'virtual particle', generally, is a disturbance in a field that will never be found on its own, but instead is something that is caused by the presence of other particles, often of other fields." Note that in his simile he likens them to compression waves.

Intrigued by your rhetorical parody of my question, rumborak. Coulumb force/interaction is the attraction or repulsion (not emission) of particles. I guess your analogy is lost on me a little.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted towards each other. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for holding together galaxies.

2. How does gravitational force work?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy. This curvature causes objects to move along certain paths in spacetime, which we perceive as the force of gravity.

3. What are massless particles?

Massless particles are particles that have no mass. In the Standard Model of particle physics, these particles include photons (particles of light), gluons (particles that mediate the strong nuclear force), and the hypothetical gravitons (particles that mediate the force of gravity).

4. How can there be an endless supply of massless particles?

In quantum field theory, particles are created and destroyed constantly, and the energy and momentum of these particles can be transferred between systems. This means that even if a massless particle is destroyed, another one can be created in its place, resulting in an endless supply.

5. What are the implications of an endless supply of massless particles?

The existence of an endless supply of massless particles has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the forces that govern it. For example, it may help us better understand the behavior of black holes and the nature of dark matter, which is thought to be made up of as-yet-undiscovered massless particles.