Gravitons & Warping: Reconciling Extra Dimensions?

• Thread starter keepitmoving
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitons
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in reconciling gravitons and the warping of space, specifically in relation to extra dimensions. The possibility of extra dimensions being proven by the LHC and the existence of Kaluza Klein particles as evidence is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the idea of unifying quantum mechanics, string theory, and general relativity, and the potential implications of extra dimensions being proven.
keepitmoving
i`m having trouble reconciling gravitons and the warping of space. Do the gravitons enter and leave the extra dimensions causing a fluctuation of the extra dimensions entering and leaving our visible dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
keepitmoving said:
i`m having trouble reconciling gravitons and the warping of space. Do the gravitons enter and leave the extra dimensions causing a fluctuation of the extra dimensions entering and leaving our visible dimensions?

What extra dimensions?

i was talking about the ones they may prove with the LHC, possibly in the near future. The ones that the Kalusa Klein particles are evidence of.

`m having trouble reconciling gravitons and the warping of space. Do the gravitons enter and leave the extra dimensions causing a fluctuation of the extra dimensions entering and leaving our visible dimensions?

Thats's because you have three theories in your statement: quantum mechanics, string theory and general relativity. Who knows which is "right"? Extra dimensions spring forth from string theory; curvature of spacetime from GR, and gravitons from quantum mechanics, although there is a string theory "particle", a closed string (loop)...

I'll get back to you with a slick answer (maybe) as soon as all three are unified...but don't hold your breath in anticipation.

What's a Kaluza Klein particle?
Never heard about that (those).
Don't tell me there are even more "fundamental" particles!

i don`t know much about the KK particles. Theoretically they exist in the extra dimensions and if they are proven by the LHC, they indicate that there are actally extra dimensions as per string theory.

1. What are gravitons?

Gravitons are theoretical particles that are believed to be the carriers of the gravitational force in the framework of quantum field theory. They are thought to be massless and have a spin of 2.

2. How do gravitons reconcile extra dimensions?

Gravitons are believed to be able to travel through extra dimensions in addition to the three dimensions we are familiar with. This allows them to reconcile the effects of gravity with the theories of extra dimensions proposed by string theory and other models.

3. Can gravitons be detected?

At this time, gravitons have not been directly detected. However, some scientists believe that gravitational waves detected by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) could be evidence of gravitons.

4. How do warping and extra dimensions relate to each other?

Warping is a concept in physics that describes how the presence of mass and energy can cause distortions in the fabric of spacetime. In theories with extra dimensions, warping can help explain why we do not directly observe these dimensions in everyday life.

5. What implications could the discovery of gravitons have?

If gravitons are confirmed to exist, it would provide strong evidence for theories that attempt to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature, such as string theory. It could also lead to new insights and technologies in the fields of cosmology and quantum physics.