Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitons and warping

1. Jun 30, 2009 #1
    i`m having trouble reconciling gravitons and the warping of space. Do the gravitons enter and leave the extra dimensions causing a fluctuation of the extra dimensions entering and leaving our visible dimensions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What extra dimensions?

4. Jun 30, 2009 #3
    i was talking about the ones they may prove with the LHC, possibly in the near future. The ones that the Kalusa Klein particles are evidence of.

5. Jun 30, 2009 #4
    Thats's because you have three theories in your statement: quantum mechanics, string theory and general relativity. Who knows which is "right"? Extra dimensions spring forth from string theory; curvature of spacetime from GR, and gravitons from quantum mechanics, although there is a string theory "particle", a closed string (loop)....

I'll get back to you with a slick answer (maybe) as soon as all three are unified...but don't hold your breath in anticipation.

6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    What's a Kaluza Klein particle?
    Never heard about that (those).
    Don't tell me there are even more "fundamental" particles!!!

7. Jun 30, 2009 #6
    i don`t know much about the KK particles. Theoretically they exist in the extra dimensions and if they are proven by the LHC, they indicate that there are actally extra dimensions as per string theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook