Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity a pseudo-force?

1. Aug 8, 2006 #1
    I was reading a Feynman lecture and I believe he said something about pseudo-forces being proportional to the masses and that gravity could be one. Then I think he said that in GR gravity is like a pseudo-force. Is gravity considered as a pseudo-force if the geometry of spacetime is its cause?

Are any of the new theories of quantum gravity working on a quantum geometry and not including actual "gravity particles" like gravitons?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2

john baez

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's a popular viewpoint on general relativity. Of course, gravity arises from how energy and momentum curve spacetime, and it's a very real thing, so one shouldn't infer from the term "pseudo-force" that gravity is somehow "fake". But, it's not a force in the sense of something which causes particles to accelerate - particles move along geodesics, "as straight as possible".

Sure! The closely related ideas called "loop quantum gravity" and "spin foam models" are all the result of people trying to develop a theory of quantum geometry. Try these for starters:

Institute for Gravitational Physics and Geometry, Semi-popular articles, press releases, talks...

Carlo Rovelli, Loop Quantum Gravity

John Baez, This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics:
    week109, week110, week111, week112.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?