1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and Acceleration

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    Here's my last string of questions... for the week at least! :) Thank you all so much for your help.

If we throw a ball up, is its acceleration just before it reaches its highest point slightly higher than g? This would make sense to me, because if it was at g or lower, it would be ready to fall back down, or would be falling down...

If a ball is thrown up and another is thrown down, when they reach the ground, do they both have the same speed? Also, this would make sense to me, because they are both exposed to gravity.

A car traveling at 60 km/h accelerates at 2.0 m/s^2. How much time is required for the car to reach a speed of 90 km/h?
    I calculated 15 seconds for that... It makes sense to me, but we never know...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wouldn't agree with this. Neglecting air resistance, what forces are acting on the ball when it is in flight? Thus, what is the acceleration of the ball?

If they're thrown from the same point then, yes.
    How did you calculate it? I can't check you're right if I can't see what you've done! :smile:

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    The forces acting on the ball in flight would be gravity?
    The acceleration of the ball would be 0?

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Correct, and the graviational force is equal at all points during the ball's flight.
    Where did this conclusion come from? (Huge hint: what is the acceleration due to gravity?)

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5
    Ah oops, here it is:
    2.0 m/s^2 = (90 000 - 60 000 m/h)/t
    t= 30 000/2

And... I can't figure out how I got my answer then... Maybe I forgot about the km vs meters...

7. Jan 31, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your units here are incorrect. Your conversion to metres was correct, but on the left you have seconds, and on the right you have hours. You need to convert the expressions on the right to m/s before you can calculate t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?