Gravity and curvature of space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and how it affects the path of objects thrown vertically. It also delves into the General Relativity theory of gravity and how it involves both the curvature of space and the effect of mass attraction. Finally, there is a request for help solving a physics problem unrelated to the topic of gravity.
rajeshmarndi
I could understand gravity involve in object revolving around a big mass as the path of the object is circular.

But couldn't understand how gravity is explained when an object thrown up returns back.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi rajeshmarndi! :smile:

are you also happy about an orbit where the path is elliptical?

when you throw an object almost vertically, it follows an arc of an ellipse until it hits the ground …

if the ground wasn't there, it would orbit in that ellipse forever​

when you throw an object exactly vertically, if the ground wasn't there, it would go up and down forever in a "flat ellipse" :wink:

rajeshmarndi said:
I could understand gravity involve in object revolving around a big mass as the path of the object is circular.

But couldn't understand how gravity is explained when an object thrown up returns back.

Geodesic path in curved spacetime for a vertical throw.
http://www.relativitet.se/spacetime1.html

thanks A.T, for providing the link also.
It was helpful what i was searching.

rajeshmarndi said:
thanks A.T, for providing the link also.
It was helpful what i was searching.
Here is an interactive version of that, where you can thow it up and let it fall into a tunnel through the planet:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf

A convenient way to remember how gravitational acceleration looks in spacetime is, which summarizes some detailed mathematics, is (with time on one axis and space on two others):

constant velocity appears as a straight line,

constant linear acceleration appears as a smooth curve, (say. an freely falling object)

constant rotational acceleration appears as a corkscrew (say, the Earth rotating about the sun)

AT -

thanks again, its really a new way users like me to have a look at space-time curve.

rajeshmarndi said:
AT -

thanks again, its really a new way users like me to have a look at space-time curve.

The title of the thread suggests that you might have had the misconception that it's the curvature of space only, that models gravity in General Relativity. But in fact the time dimension is crucial to understand the key effect of gravity: mass attraction.

Have a look at this:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/demoweb..._and_general_relativity/curved_spacetime.html

rajeshmarndi said:

I guess, that is acceleration due to gravity.When an object is thrown vertically up then,it come down it caused gravity . Gravity always attractive. And it always directed to the earth.

i could not understan about this given problem.. " A car travels up a nill at a constant speed of 37 km/h & return down the hill at a constat speed of 66 km/h. Calculate the average speed for the whole trip."
Can somebody help me answer this?,,, thaks a lot...

The last two posts seem to have missed the point completely- that this is about the General Relativity picture of gravity.

kyrdmenchou, please do NOT 'hijack' another person's thread to ask a completely different question. Your question has nothing at all to do with gravity. I will answer your question by p.m.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract one another. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for objects falling towards the Earth.

2. How does gravity affect the curvature of space?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass or energy. The more massive an object is, the more it curves the fabric of space-time around it.

3. Is the curvature of space the same everywhere?

No, the curvature of space depends on the distribution of mass and energy in a particular region. In areas with a lot of mass, space can be highly curved, while in empty regions, it can be flat.

4. How does the curvature of space affect the motion of objects?

The curvature of space determines the path that objects follow. Objects will follow the shortest path in a curved space, which can result in them orbiting around a massive object or falling towards it depending on their initial velocity.

5. Can we observe the curvature of space?

Yes, the curvature of space has been observed through experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the gravitational lensing effect. The existence of gravitational waves also provides evidence of the curvature of space.