Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and Distance

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that: [tex] F_g = G \frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2} [/tex]. My question is this: How can this law be used to derive a function for the change in distance between two masses ([tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex]) a distance r apart as a function of time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, no matter how many capitals you put in there, is pretty useless when not accompanied by Newton's Second Law of Motion:

[tex]\vec{F}=m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}[/tex]

Actually, two equations of motion are necessary for this problem: one of each mass.

[tex]-G\frac{m_1 m_2}{|\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2|^3}(\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2)=m_1\frac{d^2\vec{r}_1}{dt^2}[/tex]

[tex]G\frac{m_1 m_2}{|\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2|^3}(\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2)=m_2\frac{d^2\vec{r}_2}{dt^2}[/tex]

These are two coupled differential equations, but see what you get by substracting the second fromt he first: One ordinary differential equation for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], the vector going from m1 to m2. Its norm is precisely r, the distance btw m1 and m2, and solving the equation tells you how r varies with time.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  4. Apr 8, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You have forgotten unit vectors, dearest!

5. Apr 8, 2007 #4
    Brilliant! There are only two problems: I have no idea how to solve differential equations, and I don't really have any idea what you're talking about.

Do you think you could just tell me the answer?

6. Apr 8, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well I've answered your question from post #1, now you want me to solve the problem and tell you the answer? What is this about anyway? I suppose it's not for a homework, so why do you want to know?

It's complicated, but it turns out that there are 3 possible motions for m1 around m2 depending on the total energy and angular momentum: an ellipse (of which a circle is a special case), a parabola and an hyperbola. You can find plenty of information on this on the web. See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-body_problem#Application_to_inverse-square_force_laws.

7. Apr 9, 2007 #6
    First of all, this isn't a homework; it's a question I thought of in my free time (I'm in 9th grade; I don't think you learn differential equations until you're slightly older than that). Secondly, I didn't mean the circular/elliptical motion of a mass moving with a tangential speed around another mass, I meant the distance covered by two masses, just sitting there, motionless, in space, when the only force affecting them is their gravitational force on each other.

8. Apr 9, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, so you are basically wanting to use the equation to derive when they hit each other?

9. Apr 9, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, the answer to your original question is "solve the differential equation you get by putting the gravitational force into
    [tex]F= ma= \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}. The problem simply cannot be done without at least some calculus. In fact, that's why calculus had to be invented!

10. Apr 9, 2007 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Newton used Euclid in Principia, I think.
    (But he probably "cheated" in his work room using his fluxions instead..)

11. Apr 9, 2007 #10
    Kind of, except I want it to be assumed that both bodies are starting at rest, and that the only force acting on them is their gravitational force on each other. Also, I want the equation to tell how much distance is covered between them over a time t, not just when they collide.

Well, I do know some calculus, just not differential equations or vectors.
    All I really know are the basic principles of differentiation and integration. Is there any chance it can be put in a way I would understand, with only some basic knowledge of calculus?

12. Apr 12, 2007 #11
    I think I've found the solution to my problem. In order to know whether it's right, however, I need to know whether this is true: [tex] \frac{ \partial v(d)}{ \partial d} = \frac{1}{t}[/tex]

In this equation, v(d) is velocity as a function of distance, d is distance, and t is time. So, is this equation true?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?