Does Gravity Leak into Extra Dimensions and What Would Happen if it Did?

• Thread starter stever19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, an article was discussing whether or not gravity falls off with distance faster than Newton specified. Some theorists believe that this may be the case, however, there may be an extra spatial dimension that is leaking off of gravity. Can anyone advise on this?
stever19
I was reading an article on Physorg.com and I quote,

"One of the discoveries he has in mind is determining whether gravity falls off with distance even faster than Newton specified. Some theorists believe that one reason gravity is so weak is that it bleeds off into extra spatial dimensions that are difficult to measure with scientific detectors, much less with our own human senses. "

I'm not sure how many theorists believe that gravity falls off into an extra spatial dimension but if that was the case wouldn't gravity run out? I.E. if something is leaking eventually it will leak completely- yes? OR If gravity is leaking off then there must be gravity leaking on somewhere else..? Dark Matter maybe? I would imagine if gravity was leaking off somewhere there must be some cycle where the gravity is redistributed.

Can anyone advise on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
tell me, what is an extra spatial dimension in your own opinion?

Extra Spatial Dimension... well I think string theory has 11. So to put it in terms of what these may be let's use fish in a tank. They know up and down, left and right but they are oblivious to the world beyond the tank. So an extra spatial dimension could be another 'hyper space' that contains the universe we are in. The universe could be our 'fish tank'.

OR

extra spatial dimensions could be right in front of us and all around us and be so small that we cannot measure them.

or... maybe gravity's weakness is explained by dark gravity/energy tied in with quantum physics which states you can be in 3 places at once... maybe gravity can be in two or more places at once?

Hmmm... I would rather be interested to know what the author of that article defines as extra spatial dimensions. After all, he/she is referencing that concept to support the theory.
Could you provide a link to that article?

It all comes from one of many attempts to reconcile General Relativity with Quantum Mechanics. None of these work, so until someone actually finds an experiment showing that GR's predictions are off, or if we find a unified theory that works, I wouldn't put much stock into this.

1. What causes gravity?

Gravity is caused by mass. The more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational pull.

2. How does Einstein's theory of relativity explain gravity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass.

3. What is the weakness of gravity?

The weakness of gravity lies in its inability to fully explain the behavior of subatomic particles. This is where the theories of quantum mechanics come into play.

4. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with different theories and technologies.

5. How does gravity affect the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation and movement of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also dictates the overall structure and expansion of the universe.