Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and light

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    Something i've been wondering about with gravity and light:

Assuming the speed of gravity is c, does an objects gravitational field have to slow down as light it emits slows down? i.e. as an extreme example, if an object is falling towards a black hole, any light it emits takes longer and longer to reach an observer as it nears the event horizon, so it's gravitational field should take longer and longer [presumably equally as long] to reach the observer as well.

If that is true, can a blackhole's gravitational pull ever increase? Would it be possible to have the object's (delayed) gravitional field exist near the event horizon, and have the blackhole's gravity increase?

Or is it possible that an objects gravitational field can exceed its light cone?
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2
    The speed of light measured in a local intertial frame is c, light does not slow down in the scenario you mentioned it red shifts.
  4. May 10, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

Yes, this is basically addressed in this section of the Usenet Physics FAQ:
    This is the classical answer, they go on to explain that in terms of virtual photons, or "virtual gravitons" if such things exist, the explanation for the black hole's electromagnetic/gravitational field would be a little different.
    A BH's gravity does increase as more mass falls into it, so I'd guess that something along the lines of your second suggestion would be the explanation.

One additional complication is that although gravitational waves travel at the speed of light, gravitational waves are only produced by changes in acceleration, in general relativity the gravitational field acts like it can "extrapolate" the motion of objects which are accelerating at a constant rate. So, for example, the earth is pulled towards Jupiter's current position (in the frame where both are orbiting at approximately constant speed), not the position it was a few minutes ago. Similarly, electromagnetic fields can "extrapolate" the motion of charges which are moving at constant velocity. See this post along with some of the subsequent posts by pervect for more details.
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  5. May 11, 2005 #4
    If an object is falling into a blackhole, a remote observer will find:
    1. beams of light from the object gets redder and redder, i.e. it's wavelength gets longer and longer.
    2. if the object send a pulse of light per second according to the clock falling with it,
    the observer will find the interval of pulse longer and longer.
    I guess you mixed the two together.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?