Gravity & LIGO: Wave Length, Amplitude & Gravitons

In summary, LIGO is trying to detect gravitational waves, which are made of gravitons, and they carry very little energy.
kurious
What is the wavelength and amplitude of the gravitational waves that LIGO is trying to detect? Are these waves made of gravitons (as light waves can be made of photons) and how much energy do they carry?

Physics news on Phys.org
kurious said:
What is the wavelength and amplitude of the gravitational waves that LIGO is trying to detect? Are these waves made of gravitons (as light waves can be made of photons) and how much energy do they carry?

The detector must be optimized for the type of gravity wave source one is trying to detect. See a blurb here: http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~mours/audio.html

LIGO currently is in the frequency range of around 10*2 to 10*3; but I believe it is being reconfigured to a much lower frequency, especially in light of its so far null results. As you can imagine the amplitudes of GW's are very small.

A typical a formula for the power radiated by GW's from a spinning (non symmetric) mass source would not only be proportional to the moment of inertia (squared) but also to the sixth power of the frequency! :eek: but unfortunately also to the inverse 5th power of c. :frown:

LIGO does have the ability to detect these tiny amplitudes; however so far the results are nill, even though I believe there are plenty of qualified sources. My opinion is that, like Michelson-Morley, I predict a null result (due to the fundamental physical basis for the LIGO apparatus); and we may learn more about nature from that null result than actual detection. :wink:

Creator

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, LIGO's currently null result is expected. The current version is pretty much there to work out bugs. Nobody expects to see anything (and never did) until the upgrades are done in a few years. And then it might take a couple years of observing to find some good sources. LIGO et al pushes the boundaries of experimental precision many orders of magnitude beyond where it was before, so there are a lot of uncertainties to face.

As to your graviton question, I'll point out that there is currently no good theory in physics which contains gravitons. They are therefore ill-defined conceptualizations. There's no point in talking about them. On a purely conceptual level, I find that waves are much simpler to think about than particle-wave hybrids even in the electromagnetic case (where photons are of course well-defined).

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another.

2. How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity affects objects by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What is LIGO and how does it detect gravitational waves?

LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory) is a scientific experiment designed to detect gravitational waves from astronomical sources. It uses two interferometers, each with an arm length of 4km, to measure changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravitational waves.

4. What is the wave length and amplitude of gravitational waves?

The wave length of gravitational waves can vary, but they are typically on the order of thousands of kilometers. The amplitude of gravitational waves is extremely small, which is why it requires sensitive equipment like LIGO to detect them.

5. What are gravitons?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are believed to be the carriers of the gravitational force. They are predicted by certain theories, but have not yet been observed or detected.