Understanding Gravity & Orbit in Our Solar System

In summary: For example, if it was a large impact that created a lot of light, then from Earth you would be able to see that. However, if it was a smaller impact that didn't create a lot of light, then you would not be able to see it from Earth.In summary, Solar system gravity can be hard to explain without some math (which I would not comprehend), but I am hip to the involvement of time, space, space-time, 4th dimension, etc.
clel miller
Keeping in mind I am a person that did not go to school...This must be a common question. Can be maddening for you guys to keep reading it over and over. Would be happy to read any links you want to post.
I did a search on Gravity and Orbit, and did not see this topic. But those words garner a lot of results...I may have missed it, or possibly just not understood.

Anyway...I understand that solar system gravity can be hard to explain without some math (which I would not comprehend), but I am hip to the involvement of time, space, space-time, 4th dimension, etc.

But why (at least from what I see on Youtube) do planets Orbit a sun in what seems to be a Similar/Equatorial manner.?
That is to say, it seems like the pictorials always show the planets orbiting a Star in the same way...around the chubby part of the Star, in between the North and South pole (for lack of better terms).?

Is Gravity more present/stronger around the "middle" of a Star.? I thought Gravity was the same at all points...3 dimensional. What prohibits Earth from orbiting The Sun over its "poles", while another planet orbits The Sun around its "equator".?
What coerced the planets into orbiting The Sun in the same way/direction.?
Thank You

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gravity is the same no matter where you are around the Sun as long as your distance from the Sun is the same. The reason that the planets all orbit in nearly the same plane is a consequence of the way the solar system was formed. A little over 4.5 billion years ago the solar system didn't exist. Instead, a large cloud of gas and dust existed. It was this cloud that collapsed under its own gravity that formed the solar system. During the collapse, angular momentum had to be conserved, which means that the dust and gas formed into a spinning disk-like object with a very massive core. Eventually the gas in the center of the disk collapsed to a point where it ignited, forming the Sun, while the outer areas of the disk collapsed to form smaller objects, the planets. So everything in the solar system rotates around the same center point because they were doing so during their formation.

Yeah...that makes sense.
My questions always sound so baffling (to me) when I ask them, but the answers always seem so obvious when you guys post them. :redface:
Thanks Again

Don't mean to side-track your thread, but I had a question about orbits too, and orbital mechanics just make my head spin. So, I was wondering about a spacecraft to watch the Moon for impact flashes say, and where the best position for that spacecraft would be to observe the Moon more or less continuously? Would it be from an Earth orbit, or a high Lunar orbit, or somewhere inbetween maybe?

Go for it...my question was, probably, pretty rudimentary :smile:...best

Solon said:
Don't mean to side-track your thread, but I had a question about orbits too, and orbital mechanics just make my head spin. So, I was wondering about a spacecraft to watch the Moon for impact flashes say, and where the best position for that spacecraft would be to observe the Moon more or less continuously? Would it be from an Earth orbit, or a high Lunar orbit, or somewhere inbetween maybe?

I'd say that depends entirely on what resolution you need, what constaints you have for spacecraft size and weight, and a thousand other variables.

Are you familiar with Lagrange Points? My suggestion would be the Moon's L2. That way, your satellite is nearly stationary over the far side of the Moon (we can watch the near side with telescopes).

@Drakkith
I'd say that depends entirely on what resolution you need, what constaints you have for spacecraft size and weight, and a thousand other variables.

My query was prompted when I read about the new Lunar impact crater, and how these events are detected from Earth, but I wondered why not from space instead? For detecting flashes, then from space a broader spectrum could be detected as there is no atmospheric absorption, providing more info about the nature of the event.
I'd imagine a very low light video camera with UV sensitivity might suffice, but I wasn't really looking into the design or technical details of a mission, but rather just the orbital mechanics to determine if impact monitoring would be much more effective from space, and if so, where would be the best location for it.

@LURCH
Are you familiar with Lagrange Points? My suggestion would be the Moon's L2. That way, your satellite is nearly stationary over the far side of the Moon (we can watch the near side with telescopes).

If the idea was to observe lunar impact flashes then it would be best to be observing the unlit side of the Moon permanently, if possible. Maybe it would be easier to have more than one unit, I was just reading about the CubeSats, small and inexpensive, and simple if their only purpose is impact flash detection. If we are going to consider moon colonies or obervatories, we should probably know as much as possible about how many, how often, where and what size of impacts are occurring, and Earth based observations seem rather limiting.

If the idea was to observe lunar impact flashes then it would be best to be observing the unlit side of the Moon permanently, if possible.

But you do realize that the "unlit side" ( the side we don't see) isn't permanently unlit ?
At New Moon its directly facing the Sun, just as at Full Moon, the side we see is fully facing the Suncheers
Dave

clel miller said:
Go for it...my question was, probably, pretty rudimentary :smile:...best
Don't beat yourself up: it was a pretty insightful question. It shows you put some real, useful thought into the issue.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract one another. This force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In simpler terms, the larger the mass and the closer the distance between two objects, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

2. How does gravity affect the orbit of planets?

Gravity is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun. The sun's immense gravitational force pulls the planets towards it, while their orbital velocity keeps them moving forward. This balance between the force of gravity and the forward motion of the planets results in their elliptical orbits around the sun.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass in relation to gravity?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object due to gravity. Mass remains constant regardless of location, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. For example, an object will weigh less on the moon due to its weaker gravity compared to Earth.

4. How does the force of gravity vary within our solar system?

The force of gravity varies depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved. In our solar system, the sun has the strongest gravitational force due to its large mass, followed by the gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn. The force of gravity decreases as you move further away from the sun and towards the smaller planets like Earth and Mars.

5. How does the concept of gravity apply to other objects in space, such as moons and comets?

Gravity applies to all objects with mass, regardless of their size or location. Moons, for example, orbit around their respective planets due to the planet's gravitational force. Similarly, comets are also affected by the gravitational forces of nearby planets, which can alter their trajectories and cause them to enter our solar system.