Gravity & Spacetime Curvature: Have I Understood?

In summary, when spacetime is not bent, two objects will move straight up the y-axis. The blue ball is heavier and has curved space significantly, where the red ball is the time is now pointing a bit to the left.
slibbfalusken
When spacetime is not bent the two objects, red ball and blue ball, will move strait up the y-axis as they move through time. (Space is x and time is y).
Spacetime1.png

Now I've made the assumption that either a) All things want to move the smallest possible distance to the next point in time or b) all objects move 90 degrees relative to the rotation (Curvature) of the space in their coordinates. These two assumptions give the same result. As you can see in the picture below the blue ball is now heavy and has curved space significantly. Where the red ball is the time is now pointing a bit to the left. As the two objects move through time they will now meet in one point.
Spacetime2.png

Is this what gravity is or have I missunderstood it? If not I'd be really glad if someone could show me a 2d picture of spacetime and how it actually works.

Physics news on Phys.org
slibbfalusken said:
If not I'd be really glad if someone could show me a 2d picture of spacetime and how it actually works.

But is spacetime really curved relative to the object itself? If I jump 1 meter up and down spacetime, in relation to me, is not going to change right? That video only makes sense to me if light or something travels next to a star or something and changes its path due to it actually traveling so far that the change in spacetime angle matters.

Also that curvature is weird. Is the planet supposed to be at the bottom? How on Earth is the curve spaced around it? I just can't picture it.

Hm if I go in from another angle I perhaps can see the point. The planet makes, from the apples perspective, the next frame in time slightly bended a few degrees. Though this can't really be imagined from an outsider perspective.

So, I don't think I fully understood just by watching those videos. I mean, I see why the ball is moving down but I don't understand the curvature itself.

slibbfalusken said:
So, I don't think I fully understood just by watching those videos.
Try the links in the video description of the second video (on youtube).

1. How does gravity affect spacetime curvature?

Gravity is the force that causes objects with mass to attract one another. This attraction creates a curvature in the fabric of spacetime, meaning that objects will follow the path of the curved spacetime rather than a straight line.

2. Is spacetime curvature the same as gravitational force?

No, spacetime curvature is the effect of gravity on the fabric of spacetime, while gravitational force is the force that causes this curvature. Think of spacetime curvature as the result of gravity rather than the same thing as gravity itself.

3. Can spacetime curvature be observed or measured?

Yes, spacetime curvature can be observed and measured through various methods such as gravitational lensing, which is the bending of light by massive objects, and the detection of gravitational waves, which are ripples in spacetime caused by the movement of massive objects.

4. Does spacetime curvature only occur in the presence of massive objects?

Yes, spacetime curvature is directly related to the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational force and therefore the greater the curvature it creates in spacetime.

5. Can spacetime curvature be explained by the theory of general relativity?

Yes, the theory of general relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, provides the most comprehensive explanation of gravity and spacetime curvature. It states that masses create a curvature in spacetime, and this curvature determines the motion of objects in the presence of gravity.