Gravity and Time: A Revolutionary Thought

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space-time and its relationship to gravity. The idea is proposed that time could be considered the "push" behind gravity, as gravity is seen as a constant acceleration in the fourth dimension. It is also mentioned that the 4th dimension is not necessarily time, but rather a dimension perpendicular to the three spatial dimensions we experience. The conversation ends with a discussion on how gravity is caused by the curvature of time in a gravitational field.
cytokinesis
I'm either restating a well known property of general relativity, or really on to something, but I had a thought that if gravity is a constant acceleration in the 4th dimension, and time is considered to be the 4th dimension, could time in some way be considered the push that we believe to be gravity? or am I way off my rocker?

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by cytokinesis
I'm either restating a well known property of general relativity, or really on to something, but I had a thought that if gravity is a constant acceleration in the 4th dimension, and time is considered to be the 4th dimension, could time in some way be considered the push that we believe to be gravity? or am I way off my rocker?

www.geocities.com/dr_physica/tip.htm

by the way:
space-time concept for me is nothing else but velocity concept cause space and time only preset velocity.Why would velocity be so important?

that had nothing to do with my original question. Is it possible that time and the acceleration we experience as gravity are one and the same?

As far as I understand (not saying much) the 4dim is not time. In our 3d world we use time as a fourth dimension only to identify points in space-time. The 4d universe that I was talking about is the 3 spatial dims we know and another dim perpendicular to those. Spacial 4d and 4d time-space is a completely different thing. I think.

It makes sense to me that if space-time is considered to be 4d and our 'space' consists of the first 3, then the remainder, the time value, is the 4th.

I was just about to post that same thing over in the thread entitled, "Can You Explain How Space-Time and Gravity Works"(or something like that). If I understand my GR correctly, then you are absolutely right; the fourth dimension that's being "curved" by gravity is, in fact, time. So as you enter a gravitational field, your progress through time gets curved but, if you are standing on the surface of a planet, the planet gets in the way, continuously deflecting you off of the curved path your inertia tries to take. This continual deflection results in the acceleration felt as gravity. At least, that's how I understand it.

1. What is the relationship between gravity and time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature of spacetime. This means that objects with mass or energy can cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, which affects the flow of time. The stronger the gravitational pull, the slower time will pass.

2. How does gravity affect the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon where time passes at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields. This is due to the curvature of spacetime caused by gravity. The closer an object is to a massive body, the stronger the gravitational pull and the slower time will pass for that object compared to a less massive object.

3. Can gravity also affect the direction of time?

Yes, gravity can also affect the direction of time. According to the theory of general relativity, time flows in the direction of decreasing entropy, which is a measure of the disorder in a system. Gravity can cause a decrease in entropy, thus influencing the direction of time.

4. How does the concept of time differ in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as black holes?

In the presence of strong gravitational fields, time can be significantly affected. The closer an object is to a black hole, the stronger the gravitational pull and the slower time will pass. At the event horizon of a black hole, time appears to stop for an outside observer, while for an observer falling into the black hole, time will continue normally.

5. Is it possible for gravity to change the speed of time?

Yes, gravity can change the speed of time. As mentioned before, the strength of gravity can affect the flow of time. Stronger gravitational pull results in slower time, while weaker gravitational pull results in faster time. This phenomenon has been observed and measured through experiments such as the Pound-Rebka experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment.