Gravity as a Function of X

In summary, the question is about finding the point at which an object's velocity will reach 0, given its initial velocity and gravity acting at -9.8m/s/s. The solution involves using the equation \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}=mgy and solving for y, which is the point at which the object's velocity will reach 0. However, this method only works if gravity is a constant 9.8 m/s^2.
NerfMonkey
This isn't a homework question, just one that's been nagging me for a while, and it is algebra so I thought this an appropriate place for it.

I've been working on this problem at my whiteboard for a good half hour and can't figure out. I'm sure it's very simple but a search of Google and these forums uncovered nothing of any value.

I want to find the point at which an object's velocity will reach 0 if its initial velocity is known and gravity acts at its normal [tex]-9.8m/s/s[/tex]. The problem is that I don't know how to express this as [tex]f(x)[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex]. I've read that gravity is [tex]9.8m/s^2[/tex] but I really don't understand how that works.

I apologize for asking such a basic question, I just don't remember anything from the last quarter of my algebra class. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

I went a little overboard with the tex thing. Oh well. [tex]:)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
how is this an algebra question? there are very simple formulas out there for this problem.

You are saying that the body's acceleration (derivative of velocity) is -g.
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= -g[/tex] so, integrating, v= -gt+ C. Taking the "initial speed" to be v0, v(t)= -gt+ v0. To determine when the objects velocity is 0, set that equal to 0 and solve for t: -gt+ v0= 0 so -gt= -v0 and t= v0/g.

Since this is neither abstract nor linear algebra, I am moving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My answer: when x=0, assuming the object is inelastic.

EDIT: Ahh nvm you meant on the objects way up, I thought you meant after it has already started falling.

Thanks for the help.

I thought this was an algebra question, sorry it was in the wrong place. Shows how little I know about math.

NerfMonkey said:
Thanks for the help.

I thought this was an algebra question, sorry it was in the wrong place. Shows how little I know about math.

It essentially algebra, just not linear algebra/abstract algebra

The Answer

ok, I'm assuming you mean that you are shooting an object straight up with some initial velocity. I'd use conservation of energy to solve this.

at the point where v=0 all of our initial kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}=mgy[/tex]

we solve for y:
[tex]y=\frac{v^{2}}{2g}[/tex]

And there you have "the point at which an object's velocity will reach 0". It is important to note that this only works when gravity really is 9.8 m/s^2. If you're shooting things off into space then you must take into account that g is not constant so it gets a bit more complicated.

1. What is the definition of gravity as a function of X?

Gravity as a function of X refers to the mathematical relationship between an object's position (X) and the gravitational force acting on it. This function is commonly represented by the equation F = GmM/X^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the objects, and X is the distance between them.

2. How does gravity change as X increases or decreases?

As X increases, the force of gravity decreases. This is because the distance between the objects increases, reducing the strength of the gravitational pull. Conversely, as X decreases, the force of gravity increases due to the objects being closer together.

3. What factors affect the value of X in the equation for gravity?

The value of X in the equation for gravity is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the smaller the value of X will be. Similarly, the smaller the distance between the objects, the smaller the value of X will be.

4. How is X related to the strength of gravity?

The value of X is inversely proportional to the strength of gravity. This means that as X increases, the strength of gravity decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is depicted in the equation F = GmM/X^2, where a smaller value of X results in a larger force of gravity.

5. Can gravity as a function of X be applied to all objects in the universe?

Yes, gravity as a function of X can be applied to all objects in the universe, as long as they have mass and are affected by the force of gravity. This includes objects of different sizes, shapes, and compositions.