Representing Gravity as a Vector Field

In summary, gravity can be represented as a force vector in the form of F= (-GMm)/(x2+y2+z2)*u, where u is a unit vector in the direction from the point to the origin. This can also be represented as a vector field using spherical coordinates, and the divergence can be calculated in both cases.
schaefera
In my book, it says that gravity can be thought of as a force in the form of this vector:

F= (-GMm)/(x2+y2+z2)*u

where u is a unit vector in the direction from the point to the origin. How would this be represented as a vector field (this is not a homework problem, just me wondering...)?

Is u, the unit vector, able to be split up into u= {(x)i + (y)j + (z)k}/(sqrt( x2+y2+z2), then you can sub in for that and get a vector field of the form

F=(-xGMm)/(((sqrt( x2+y2+z2)3) i + ... and so on?

Because then you can find the divergence of this vector field, but you can't find the divergence of that first equation I listed above because it's not explicitly a vector field...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take the divergence in the first case too. Just use the operator in spherical coordinates.

Yes,
[tex]F= -\frac{GmM}{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}\vec{u}[/tex]
and
[tex]u= \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}(x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k})[/itex]
so that
[tex]F= -\frac{GmM}{r^3}(x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k})[/tex]
or
[tex]F= -\frac{GmM}{r^3}\vec{r}[/tex]

What is "Gravity as a Vector Field"?

"Gravity as a Vector Field" refers to the concept of gravity being represented as a mathematical vector field. This means that the strength and direction of gravity can be described at every point in space, rather than just at a single point like in Newton's law of gravity.

How is gravity represented as a vector field?

Gravity is represented as a vector field by using arrows or lines to indicate the direction and strength of the gravitational force at each point in space. The longer the arrow or line, the stronger the gravitational force.

What is the significance of representing gravity as a vector field?

Representing gravity as a vector field allows us to better understand the complex nature of gravitational forces. It also allows us to make predictions about how objects will move in the presence of gravity.

How is the vector field of gravity affected by mass and distance?

The vector field of gravity is directly affected by mass and distance. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force and the longer the arrows or lines in the vector field will be. Additionally, the farther away an object is, the weaker its gravitational force will be and the shorter the arrows or lines in the vector field will be.

How does the concept of "Gravity as a Vector Field" relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The concept of "Gravity as a Vector Field" is closely related to Einstein's theory of relativity, as it takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. This curvature is represented in the vector field as the direction and strength of the gravitational force.