Gravity at atomic levels, first time post

In summary, Pan is asking if space-time is elastic and if there is a critical mass needed to bend it, similar to how a trampoline will not bend with a grain of sand but will with a bowling ball. This idea of quantized gravity, where gravity may have a lower critical limit, has been proposed by other physicists and is a key component in many theories of everything.
Peter Pan
I have very little training in the area of Physics, but enough to understand most of what is said on this forum. This is a first time post.

My question has to do with gravity on an atomic level. This question is for those of you familiar with trying to combine all four natural forces.

First these are a few things I understand to be true:
1 Gravity is the weakest of the 4 natural forces.
2 The current problem with the unified field theory is combining all 4 forces into one equation.
3 We can currently combine strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism into one equation.
4 Gravity is actually the result of a body of mass bending space-time.

My question is this…
Is space-time elastic and if so does it have a critical mass needed to bend it?

For instance if a bowling ball or a cannon ball is set on a trampoline, the trampoline will bend. But, if a grain of sand is set on a trampoline it will not bend the material. Could this example parallel real space-time? A star has enough mass to curve space-time, while and atom or a particle does not. I believe that if this is the case, that a lot of the problems due to using gravity on an atomic level would be solved.

This may not be a new idea. I have not the foggiest. Please lead me to any research already done on the subject or give me your own expertise on the subjuct.

Thank you,
Pan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Pan.
My comment'll be very short.
Originally posted by Peter Pan

This may not be a new idea.
Correctly. This is well known so called geometrical interpretation.

Gravity may differ on small scales due to branes' or strings' extradimensionality at those levels - .1 mm, for instance. Experiments are currently being carried out to determine any accelerative deviation from accustomed geometrodynamics there.

Welcome Pete!

If I have read you correctly, you're suggesting that the curvature of spacetime we call "gravity" may have a lower critical limit; a threshold below which it cannot happen. So spacetime would have to be curved by at least this much, or none at all, right?

If that is what you're saying, then you are correct in your suspicion that you're not the first to think that. What you've arrived at is the idea that gravity may be "quantized", which is a key component to most potential TOE's. So even though you didn't get there first, you are in very good company (and there is tremendous value in the fact that you got there on your own).

If you do a search on "quantized gravity", you can probably find a lot of info written by great minds like Hawking and Green, who have come to the same conclussion.

1. What is gravity at atomic levels?

Gravity at atomic levels refers to the force of attraction between particles at the smallest scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is the same concept as gravity on a larger scale, but it operates on a much smaller level.

2. How does gravity work at the atomic level?

Gravity at the atomic level is based on the mass and distance between particles. The more massive the particles and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

3. Can gravity be observed at the atomic level?

Yes, gravity at the atomic level can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as measuring the effects of gravity on the motion of particles or using gravitational force sensors.

4. How does gravity affect atomic structures?

Gravity plays a crucial role in shaping atomic structures, as it influences the arrangement and movement of particles within atoms. It also helps to keep atoms bonded together in molecules.

5. Can gravity be manipulated at the atomic level?

As of now, there is no known way to manipulate gravity at the atomic level. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with different theories and technologies to better understand and possibly manipulate gravity in the future.