Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity at particle scales

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    A while back (several years ago), I recall reading that when two particles are placed in very close proximity to each other, gravity begins to act as a repulsive force. I began looking for that source recently, but can find no reference to it (except one source of dubious credulity). Could someone inform me whether I am recalling correctly? Or perhaps incorrectly, as I suspect?
    As a side note, I do know that the state of quantum gravity is still incomplete/unknown, so any pointers to hypotheses/theories (defunct or still in debate) where what I recall is actually correct would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This doesn't sound right to me. The closest I can come is what Leonard Susskind calls the infrared-ultraviolet connection. This is the idea that you can probe shorter and shorter distance scales by using particles of higher energy and shorter wavelength, but at some point the high-energy projectile hits the target you're imaging so hard that it forms a black hole. Once you start forming black holes, the radius of the black hole actually *increases* with energy, so you aren't probing shorter distance scales anymore.

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    Cool. But I'm pretty sure that what I was reading about wasn't about things that could really be probed with light. Perhaps more theoretical?

5. Feb 22, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

I think it will be very hard to address the details without a reference. It certainly sounds like you are misremembering.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook