How Do You Calculate the Change in Gravity as a Rocket Travels Away from Earth?

In summary: Well, if you're familiar with the universal law of gravitation.. F=(G*m1*m2)/(R^2). And F=ma so...This looks like a homework problem. Had you submitted this in our homework section, you would have been prompted to tell us the relevant equations and describe the work you have done to solve the problem. So, lacking those automated prompts, I am prompting you now. What are the relevant equations and what have you done to solve the problem?In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the change in acceleration due to gravity for a rocket as it gets farther away from Earth. The relevant equations are the universal law of gravitation and F=ma. The conversation also mentions the importance of posting
rhines8
If a rocket launches from the earth, how can i calculate the change in acceleration due to gravity as it gets farther and farther away? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're familiar with the universal law of gravitation.. F=(G*m1*m2)/(R^2). And F=ma so...

This looks like a homework problem. Had you submitted this in our homework section, you would have been prompted to tell us the relevant equations and describe the work you have done to solve the problem. So, lacking those automated prompts, I am prompting you now. What are the relevant equations and what have you done to solve the problem?

it actually is not a homework problem...
In response to Nabeshin-
Ok I thought i could just do this but someone told me otherwise...

rhines8 said:
it actually is not a homework problem...
In response to Nabeshin-
Ok I thought i could just do this but someone told me otherwise...

Thread moved to Homework Help anyway. Please take care to post anything homework-like in the Homework Help forums. The PF Rules (see link at top of the page) are pretty clear about that.

And on your question -- what can you tell us about the sum of the forces on the rocket, and how that sum is related to the rocket's acceleration? Also, what can you tell us about the rocket's mass over time...?

rhines8 said:
If a rocket launches from the earth, how can i calculate the change in acceleration due to gravity as it gets farther and farther away? Thanks!

Depends, either let it decline radially through Newton's law, or you could use a rotating rocket around the earth, and try and calculate its minimum height with corresponding speed to rotate around earth, using gravitational acceleration as a centripetal force.

1. How does gravity work away from earth?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. The strength of gravity depends on the mass and distance between two objects. In space, objects still have mass and therefore still have gravity that pulls them towards each other. However, the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases.

2. Can you float away in space due to the lack of gravity?

In space, there is actually still gravity, but it is much weaker compared to the gravity on earth. Astronauts on the International Space Station (ISS) are able to float because they are constantly falling towards the earth due to the earth's gravity, but they are also moving forward at a fast enough speed to keep missing the earth. This is known as freefall.

3. How does gravity affect the human body in space?

Being in a low gravity environment for an extended period of time can have some negative effects on the human body. In space, the lack of gravity means that the body doesn't have to work as hard to support itself, which can lead to muscle and bone loss. Astronauts also experience changes in their cardiovascular system, as the heart does not have to work as hard to pump blood against the force of gravity. This can cause problems when returning to earth's gravity.

4. Can gravity be turned off or manipulated in space?

Gravity is a natural force and cannot be turned off or manipulated. However, scientists are able to simulate microgravity (very low gravity) by using specialized equipment such as parabolic flights or centrifuges. In these environments, the force of gravity is reduced, but it is not completely eliminated.

5. How does gravity affect objects in orbit around earth?

Objects in orbit around earth are constantly falling towards the earth due to the force of gravity. However, they are also moving forward at a fast enough speed to keep missing the earth, causing them to stay in a continuous orbit. The strength of gravity also decreases with distance, which is why objects in higher orbits experience less gravitational force compared to objects in lower orbits.