1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Bend

1. May 31, 2015 #1
    Dear PF Forum,

I realize that there are 4 basic forces in our universe.
    Two of them are gravity and electromagnetic force.
    Gravity curvature.jpg
    Electromagnetic travels at the speed of light.
    And it seems that Gravity travels/propagates at the speed of light also.

Light is bent by gravity. What about gravity?
    Is gravity bent by gravity?
    In the picture above. Planet C will see star A1 as in position A2.
    What about the gravity? Does C orbit the barycentre of A2-B-C, or the barycenter of A1-B-C?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2
    If you think about this, you will see that theres only one object and its real position is ##A_1## but as we know light path will change according to gravity of B planet. So we will see ##A_1## in ##A_2##.Thats doesnt mean gravity bent.Only light bent and we different place the object so the answer will be ##A_1## B C.Objects move according to space time curvature.If you think real ##A_1## is in ##A_2## that causes different curvature and movement.

4. May 31, 2015 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think gravity is deflected this way, but gravitational waves might be.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. May 31, 2015 #4
    Given that the reason for light being bent is because they follow the geodesic of a distorted spacetime, I would think gravity waves would do the same. It would strike me as peculiar if they somehow traveled through spacetime in a special manner independent of the distortion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook