Gravity Equation: Exploring Mass & Black Holes

• Thread starter Gamish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the "gravity equation" is Newton's law of gravity, and the Schwarzschild radius is the radius at which the event horizon of a black hole occurs.
Gamish
Gravity Equasion?

I have a question, after reading about black holes. What is the "gravity equation"? Let me explain. If the Earth had a weight of 1000000000 KG, how fast would I accelerate to that object, if I was 1 KM away from it or something? Do you get my point, I don't know all the technical apsects, I am just trying to figure out how massive an object has to be to open up aa black hole.

Thanks in advanced :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Newton's law, F = GmM/r^2, to calculate the force of attraction between two bodies that are far away from each other.

G is the universal gravitational constant, m and M are the two masses, and r is the distance between them.

For strong gravitational fields this equation doesn't work, but I don't think there is any model of gravity "as a force" that will work. The problem is that the geometry of space-time itself becomes distorted near a sufficiently dense mass, so that thinking of gravity as a "force" will not give the correct answer without taking the distortion of the geometry into account.

The event horizon of a black hole occurs at radius [fix] r = 2GM/c^2, called the Schwarzschild radius. Here G is the same universal gravitational constant as it was in Newton's law of gravity, M is the mass of the massive body, and c is the speed of light. For a body as massive as the Earth's sun, the Schwarzschild radius is 1.5km.

Last edited:
Not to be a grinch, but I think you are short a factor of 2 in your Schwarzschild radius.

Galileo's constant acceleration g due to gravity came out nicely from Newton's theory as g = GMp/(Rp^2) where Mp is the mass of a spherical planet of radius Rp. Have a look at Kip Thorne's paper back on black holes or Wheeler & Taylor's book on black holes.

You are (of course) quite right about the factor of 2 - I fixed the original post to reflect the correct formula for the Schwarzschild radius.

Merry xmas & a happy new year

1. What is the gravity equation?

The gravity equation is a mathematical formula that describes the force of gravity between two objects. It states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the gravity equation explain the behavior of objects in space?

The gravity equation helps us understand how objects in space interact with each other. It explains why planets orbit around stars, why moons orbit around planets, and why objects fall towards the Earth.

3. What role do black holes play in the gravity equation?

Black holes are objects with such a strong gravitational pull that they can even bend light. The gravity equation helps us understand how black holes form and how they affect the motion of other objects around them.

4. Can the gravity equation be applied to objects of any size?

Yes, the gravity equation can be applied to objects of any size, from tiny particles to massive stars and galaxies. However, it becomes less accurate when dealing with extremely large objects, such as those found in the universe.

5. How does the gravity equation relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

The gravity equation is a simplified version of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which provides a more comprehensive explanation of gravity by incorporating the concept of space-time curvature. The gravity equation is a useful tool for understanding gravity on a smaller scale, while general relativity is needed to explain gravity on a larger scale.