Gravity forces converted to energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of a small ball spinning on a larger ball due to gravitational forces. The idea is met with skepticism and the concept of a "free lunch" is brought up. The conversation also touches on the extraction of energy from the sun and gravity. Ultimately, it is concluded that the balls would not spin around each other due to the perpendicular nature of the gravitational force between them. The idea of pushing two balls against each other is also brought up, but this would not result in the balls sticking together unless the force changes direction.
lb6149
Can anyone help me on this?

If I have a very large ball (ball A) and a tiny ball (ball B) as such that ball B is attracted by the center of ball A, then theorically, if ball A is a perfect sphere I could expect ball B to start spinning on ball A and never stop as ball B won't have anywhere to rest on ball A. Am I right?

In fact, this would be the opposite of anti-gravity and by multiplying that force we could extract an energy that could eventually move an object.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually we routinely extract energy, and nearly endless from a combination of the suns heat and gravity. The sun evaporates sea water, it falls in the mountains as rain. We dam the streams and generate electricity.

As for your balls, I have no clue what you are talking about but I can be sure that it will not work. Simply because you are talking about a free lunch. TANSTAAFL.

What you think is wrong because ball B WILL rest on ball A, because the gravitational forces will not help ball B to roll along the side of ball A. The force on ball B is drawn towards the centre of ball A, which makes the two stick.
I don't see why ball B should start spinning around.

The Earth is like a big ball. Place a small ball such as a bowling ball someplace on the Earth's surface and let us know whether it spins out of control! :-)

ya, the ball would not spin around the other ball since the force between the two balls is directly perpendicular to the intersection tangent. Theregore, there would be no force to push the ball in one direction or another.

since the force between the two balls is directly perpendicular to the intersection tangent

...a very long way to say towards the centers of masses :biggrin:

asd

[tex]v(average) = \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{v-u}{t}[/tex]

[tex]s=ut + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2=u^2 + 2as[/tex]

:tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
but what if I push two balls against each other? They can't possibly stick together. This is what I mean.

As long as you still apply force to both balls directly towards each other they will touch at a tangent point and stay that way unless the force changes direction.

1. What is the concept of converting gravity forces to energy?

The concept of converting gravity forces to energy is based on the principle of relativity, which states that energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that any object with mass has potential energy as a result of its position in a gravitational field. By harnessing and converting this potential energy, we can generate usable energy.

2. How is gravity force converted to energy?

Gravity force is converted to energy through various methods, such as hydroelectric power, tidal power, and gravitational potential energy conversion. These processes involve the use of turbines to capture the energy of falling water or tidal movements, as well as the use of gravitational potential energy to generate electricity.

3. What are the benefits of converting gravity forces to energy?

Converting gravity forces to energy has several benefits, including providing a renewable source of energy, reducing dependence on fossil fuels, and producing minimal environmental impact. It also has the potential to generate large amounts of energy, making it a promising alternative to traditional energy sources.

4. Are there any limitations to converting gravity forces to energy?

While converting gravity forces to energy has many advantages, there are also limitations to this process. One limitation is that it requires specific geographical features, such as large bodies of water or steep slopes, to be effective. Additionally, the technology for harnessing gravitational potential energy is still in its early stages and requires further development and investment.

5. How is the energy generated from gravity forces used?

The energy generated from gravity forces can be used for various purposes, including powering homes, businesses, and industries. It can also be used for transportation, such as in electric vehicles. The energy can also be stored in batteries for future use or fed into the grid to supplement other sources of electricity.