Gravity & Geodesics: How the Earth Maximizes Proper Time

In summary, the Earth is constantly accelerating and yet it follows a geodesic in space-time because the zero-variation-in-action path through the four-dimensional pseudo-Riemannian non-euclidean geometry near a gravitating source is a geodesic. This is due to the involvement of time, which is a function of velocity, not acceleration. The principle of least action dictates that the geodesic will be the path of least energy, and this is what the Earth follows.
Thrice
How is the Earth on a geodesic? Forgive me if this is basic. I had associated the time dilation effect with acceleration & now it turns out gravity isn't a "force" even though GR in the equivalence principle models it as an acceleration.

To rephrase, the Earth is constantly accelerating & yet maximizing its proper time because...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thrice said:
How is the Earth on a geodesic? Forgive me if this is basic. I had associated the time dilation effect with acceleration & now it turns out gravity isn't a "force" even though GR in the equivalence principle models it as an acceleration.

To rephrase, the Earth is constantly accelerating & yet maximizing its proper time because...

...because the zero-variation-in-action path through the four-dimensional pseudo-Riemannian non-euclidean geometry near a gravitating source is a geodesic in spacetime. Note the involvement of time. Earth's worldline is approximately an "elliptical helix" in spacetime.

selfAdjoint said:
...because the zero-variation-in-action path through the four-dimensional pseudo-Riemannian non-euclidean geometry near a gravitating source is a geodesic in spacetime. Note the involvement of time. Earth's worldline is approximately an "elliptical helix" in spacetime.
Ok. So why the equivalence principle then? The theory seems to imply that it's both inertial motion & accelerated motion. I'm guessing that's due to a change of frames?

Thrice said:
How is the Earth on a geodesic? Forgive me if this is basic. I had associated the time dilation effect with acceleration & now it turns out gravity isn't a "force" even though GR in the equivalence principle models it as an acceleration

Probably your mistake was to associate time dilation with acceleration in the first place. It's hard to be sure because "associated with" is a very vague term.

But if you look at the formula for time dilation due to motion, time dilation is a function of velocity, not by acceleration. (This is a SR effect, which causes the so-called twin paradox).

If you look at the formula for time dilation due to gravity (gravitational red shift, a GR effect), it is a function of potential energy, and (again) not acceleration.

If you want the mathematical details, any time a body follows a path that minimizes or maximizes an intergal, the body must obey certain differential equations called the Euler-Lagrange differential equations.

These are usually taught in physics well before GR, in Lagrangian mechanics. I don't know much about your background, I'm going to assume from your question that you are not familiar with them yet. If I'm right, the following brief treatment will probably bo too rapid, but there's no way to compress a semester physics course into a post.
Anwyay...

One way of writing down the geodesic equations for a body is to write down the intergal for its proper time, which then gives the associated Euler-Lagrange differential equations that describe how it moves. When you do this for the Earth, you find that it orbits the sun, the resulting differential equations are almost exactly the same as the Newtonian differential equations.

For more on the principle of least action and the Euler-Lagrange differential equations, try the wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(physics )

EF taylor's website would probably be another good resource as well:

http://www.eftaylor.com/leastaction.html

Writing down the intergal for proper time is easy. In SR, we simply solve for [itex]d\tau[/itex] given

[tex]d\tau^2 = dt^2 - dx^2[/tex]

(I've made c=1 for simplicity)

In GR, we add in the metric coefficients

[tex] d\tau^2 = g_{00} dt^2 + 2 g_{01} dxdt + g_{11} dx^2[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrice said:
How is the Earth on a geodesic?
The Earth is on a geodesic in spacetime (not just space).
Forgive me if this is basic. I had associated the time dilation effect with acceleration...
How and why?
.. & now it turns out gravity isn't a "force" even though GR in the equivalence principle models it as an acceleration.
Gravity is a force. Its called an inertial force. There are two types of forces in nature, inertial forces and non-inertial forces (non-zero 4-force).
You're neglecting to mention the frame of reference in your questions. This is where the problem is. First off the Earth has a non-zero spatial acceleration with respect to the rest frame of the sun, but it has zero spatial acceleration in its own (freely-falling) frame. Also, proper time is not always maximized in GR. All that is required is that it has a stationary value.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
All that is required is that it has a stationary value.

Pete
Could you explain what you mean by stationary value? I'm encountering that a lot.

Thrice said:
Ok. So why the equivalence principle then? The theory seems to imply that it's both inertial motion & accelerated motion. I'm guessing that's due to a change of frames?

One of the main and most difficult problem in general relativity is to know how to go from a point A to a point B in the neighborough of A because within this theory there is no long distance homogeneity. The result is that coordinates system for A is not the coordinates system for B and that one have to imagine a stratagem to join both systems in a coherent way.

Concerning the question about the geodesics. The equivalence principle states that the coordinates of B (they are depending on the coordinates of A) must vary in such a way that B has no acceleration if B is not under the influence of any force.

Thrice said:
Could you explain what you mean by stationary value? I'm encountering that a lot.

I suppose it means that the ratio : the variation of time for B relatively to the variation of time for A is zero.

Thrice said:
It means that the functional (i.e. integral of a parameter(s)) has a "first derivative" (whatever that means) of zero. Notice the typical idea from calculus y = f(x). y'(x=a) = 0 does not mean that there is a local minumum at x = a but only that the tangent to the curve is parallel to the x=axis. For all the gory details please see

D:\Physics_World\ma\03_geodesic\geodesic.htm

Pete

This brings up a question I've wanted to ask for a while.

The vacuum metric "moves" so that
[tex]\int \sqrt{-g}\mathcal{L}\quad d^4x[/tex]
is stationary.

And particles move so that
[tex]\int d\tau.[/tex]
is stationary.

Does this summarise GR?

masudr said:

is stationary.
What meaning are you attaching to "metric moves"?

[tex]\int d\tau.[/tex]
is stationary.
Yes.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
What meaning are you attaching to "metric moves"?

The components changing with respect to each other is what I mean.

EDIT: I suppose I actually mean its degrees of freedom changing with respect to each other, since component implies we must have a frame, but the metric exists independent of one.

masudr said:

is stationary.

[tex]\int d\tau.[/tex]
is stationary.

Does this summarise GR?

Of course, you'll have to specify the meanings of the various symbols.
In a variational principle, you have to specify the type of variations under consideration (vary the metric? the connection? something else?)... as well as some boundary conditions. By "moves", you probably mean "is a classical solution to the equations of motion". By "particle", you probably mean "inertial particle".

Yes that's a good point robphy. The [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] should be the Ricci scalar [itex]R[/itex]. And the first integral is varied with respect to the metric.

robphy said:
By "particle", you probably mean "inertial particle".

I'm not entirely sure if I do. What difference would that make? Also, could you explain to me what kind of boundary conditions you mean?

Last edited:
robphy said:
Of course, you'll have to specify the meanings of the various symbols.
In a variational principle, you have to specify the type of variations under consideration (vary the metric? the connection? something else?)... as well as some boundary conditions. By "moves", you probably mean "is a classical solution to the equations of motion". By "particle", you probably mean "inertial particle".
Note - In the present case it is not the metric that is being varied. It is the pathlength which is being varied. The metric merely defines "path length". So there is no variation of the metric here. The components of the metric are functions of position and the position of the "test path" is varied. But one does not say that the metric has changed. Does that clear it up a bit?

Pete

Last edited:
masudr said:
Yes that's a good point robphy. The [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] should be the Ricci scalar [itex]R[/itex].
I see no reason to assume that [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is the Ricci scalar. In those places where there is no matter the Ricci tensor and hence the Ricci scalar are both zero. This would give a zero path length for any variation in empty space (e.g. inbetween planets). And what I just said would hold in all possible spacetimes.

Pete

masudr said:
I'm not entirely sure if I do. What difference would that make? Also, could you explain to me what kind of boundary conditions you mean?

For geodesic motion, your particle is traveling inertially (i.e. unaffected by non-gravitational influences).

Concerning boundary conditions: for example,... you might require that your path variations don't change the endpoints.

pmb_phy said:
Note - In the present case it is not the metric that is being varied. It is the pathlength which is being varied. The metric merely defines "path length". So there is no variation of the metric here. The components of the metric are functions of position and the position of the "test path" is varied. But one does not say that the metric has changed. Does that clear it up a bit?

Pete

My point was that one is obligated to specify what is being varied. My reference to the metric and the connection concerned the first problem posed... not the second.

pmb_phy said:
I see no reason to assume that [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is the Ricci scalar. In those places where there is no matter the Ricci tensor and hence the Ricci scalar are both zero. This would give a zero path length for any variation in empty space (e.g. inbetween planets). And what I just said would hold in all possible spacetimes.

Pete

To say "In those places where there is no matter the Ricci tensor and hence the Ricci scalar are both zero." already uses the the equations of motion, which is what you are trying to find.

Admittedly, the entire problem hasn't been sufficiently well-posed.

1. What is the concept of gravity in relation to geodesics and proper time?

Gravity is a fundamental force that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. In the context of geodesics and proper time, this means that objects with mass, such as the Earth, create a curvature in space-time that causes other objects to follow a curved path. This path is known as a geodesic, and it is the path that maximizes the proper time for an object moving through space-time.

2. How does the Earth's mass affect the curvature of space-time and the concept of proper time?

The Earth's mass is directly related to the curvature of space-time. The greater the mass of an object, the more it curves space-time around it. This curvature then influences the path that other objects, such as satellites or falling objects, take through space-time. In terms of proper time, this means that the Earth's mass plays a crucial role in determining the maximum amount of time that an object can experience while traveling through space-time.

3. Can you explain the relationship between geodesics and proper time in more detail?

Geodesics and proper time are closely linked because geodesics are the paths that maximize the proper time for an object traveling through space-time. This means that an object naturally follows the path that allows it to experience the longest amount of proper time. In other words, the path that an object takes through space-time is determined by the curvature of space-time, which is in turn influenced by the distribution of mass in the universe.

4. How does Einstein's theory of general relativity explain the concept of geodesics and proper time?

Einstein's theory of general relativity is a theory of gravity that explains the relationship between geodesics and proper time. According to this theory, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. This curvature determines the path that objects take through space-time, which is the geodesic, and the path that maximizes the proper time for an object.

5. How is the concept of proper time important in understanding the behavior of objects in space?

The concept of proper time is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in space because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the paths of objects in relation to one another. Proper time is a measure of the time experienced by an object as it moves through space-time, and it is affected by the curvature of space-time caused by the distribution of mass. By understanding the concept of proper time, we can better understand and explain the motions of objects in the universe.