Gravity Goes Weird: What Science Says

In summary: I'm suprised this is old news as I only read a new article a few days ago on it. Sorry to bore you zapper. ;)I'm suprised this is old news as I only read a new article a few days ago on it. Sorry to bore you zapper.
Physics news on Phys.org
mee said:
I can't believe no one thinks this is worth commenting on! :) Basically it is saying there are strange things affecting the pioneer probes that are unexplained and may show that gravity acts differently than is explained by current theory.

Ok, I'll comment. Current theories of gravitation have mountains of experimental evidence showing they are correct. It's hard to get excited over trajectory anomalies of a couple of satellites. There are many, many explanations for these anomalies that are consistent with current theories. As Occam said "Invent no unecessary hypotheses."

mee said:
I can't believe no one thinks this is worth commenting on! :) Basically it is saying there are strange things affecting the pioneer probes that are unexplained and may show that gravity acts differently than is explained by current theory.

Keep in mind that some of these things you find "interesting" may be old news to a lot of people and have been commented on ad nauseum.

This effect is still being hotly debated on, i.e. there are many who still think the data pointing to such anomolies are flimsy. There have been several attempts to try and find the same effects on other outlying spacecraft with no success. It doesn't mean, however, that no one is seriously looking into such things. See, for example:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/17/9/3

However, without any other new developments as far as more data and more verification, what is there to discuss other than personal opinions? And many here are already aware of how much I "adore" a discussion of physics based on personal tastes...

Zz.

I'm suprised this is old news as I only read a new article a few days ago on it. Sorry to bore you zapper. ;)

mee said:
I'm suprised this is old news as I only read a new article a few days ago on it. Sorry to bore you zapper. ;)

I'm not saying it is boring. I was responding to your statement of "I can't believe no one thinks this is worth commenting on!" The effect IS worth commenting on. It is just that it HAS been commented on. Just because you received no response should not be taken as a no interest.

Zz.

1. What is "Gravity Goes Weird: What Science Says" about?

"Gravity Goes Weird: What Science Says" is a scientific exploration into the strange and complex nature of gravity, examining its effects on the universe and how our understanding of it has evolved over time.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the force of gravity.

3. What are some examples of "weird" gravity?

Some examples of "weird" gravity include black holes, where the force of gravity is so strong that even light cannot escape, and gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the movement of massive objects.

4. How has our understanding of gravity changed over time?

Our understanding of gravity has evolved significantly since Sir Isaac Newton first described it in the 17th century. Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity revolutionized our understanding of gravity in the early 20th century, and ongoing research and discoveries continue to shape and refine our understanding of this fundamental force.

5. Why is studying gravity important?

Studying gravity is crucial for understanding the universe and how it functions. It helps us explain the movements of celestial bodies, predict the effects of gravity on objects, and develop technologies such as satellites and space travel. Additionally, studying gravity can also lead to advancements in other fields of science, such as astrophysics and cosmology.