Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity goes weird?

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1

mee

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

mee

4. Sep 14, 2004 #3
    Ok, I'll comment. Current theories of gravitation have mountains of experimental evidence showing they are correct. It's hard to get excited over trajectory anomalies of a couple of satellites. There are many, many explanations for these anomalies that are consistent with current theories. As Occam said "Invent no unecessary hypotheses."

5. Sep 14, 2004 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Keep in mind that some of these things you find "interesting" may be old news to a lot of people and have been commented on ad nauseum.

This effect is still being hotly debated on, i.e. there are many who still think the data pointing to such anomolies are flimsy. There have been several attempts to try and find the same effects on other outlying spacecraft with no success. It doesn't mean, however, that no one is seriously looking into such things. See, for example:

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/17/9/3

However, without any other new developments as far as more data and more verification, what is there to discuss other than personal opinions? And many here are already aware of how much I "adore" a discussion of physics based on personal tastes....

Zz.

6. Sep 15, 2004 #5

mee

I'm suprised this is old news as I only read a new article a few days ago on it. Sorry to bore you zapper. ;)

7. Sep 15, 2004 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not saying it is boring. I was responding to your statement of "I can't believe no one thinks this is worth commenting on!" The effect IS worth commenting on. It is just that it HAS been commented on. Just because you received no response should not be taken as a no interest.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?