Gravity's Effect On A Bowling Ball In A Level Alley

Earth's gravity does work on the ball. The force of gravity is in the same direction as the displacement, and this matters because work is calculated by multiplying force and displacement in the same direction. In summary, when a bowling ball rolls down a level alley, Earth's gravity does work on the ball by holding it to the surface of the earth and contributing to its displacement. This can be shown in a diagram where the force of gravity and the displacement are in the same direction.
aerogurl2
I need some help on a question: When a bowling ball rolls down a level alley, does Earth's gravity do any work on the ball? Explain with the use of a diagram.

I need help b/c I don't know if the Earth's gravity will effect the ball since the alley is not tilted.

Thanks.=)

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of work? How does the direction of the force (gravity) compare to the direction of the displacement? And how does that matter?

aerogurl2 said:
I need some help on a question: When a bowling ball rolls down a level alley, does Earth's gravity do any work on the ball? Explain with the use of a diagram.

I need help b/c I don't know if the Earth's gravity will effect the ball since the alley is not tilted.

Thanks.=)

without gravity where would you be standing right now? the same applies to the bowling ball

rctrackstar2007 said:
without gravity where would you be standing right now? the same applies to the bowling ball

Yes, but is the force of gravity doing work by 'holding' you to the surface of the earth? (This is a question to the OP btw, we should let them answer).

~H

What is gravity's effect on a bowling ball in a level alley?

Gravity is a fundamental force that causes all objects with mass to be attracted to one another. In the case of a bowling ball in a level alley, gravity's effect is to pull the ball towards the center of the Earth.

How does gravity affect the motion of a bowling ball in a level alley?

Gravity affects the motion of a bowling ball in a level alley by pulling it downward, causing it to accelerate towards the ground. This acceleration is constant, and the ball will continue to gain speed until it reaches the bottom of the alley.

What factors influence the gravitational force on a bowling ball in a level alley?

The gravitational force on a bowling ball in a level alley is influenced by two factors: the mass of the ball and the distance between the ball and the center of the Earth. The greater the mass of the ball, the stronger the gravitational force, and the closer the ball is to the center of the Earth, the stronger the force.

Can the gravitational force on a bowling ball in a level alley be overcome?

No, the gravitational force on a bowling ball in a level alley cannot be overcome. This force is a natural phenomenon and cannot be eliminated. However, it can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force applied by the bowler or the friction between the ball and the alley.

How does the gravitational force on a bowling ball in a level alley affect its trajectory?

The gravitational force on a bowling ball in a level alley causes it to follow a parabolic trajectory towards the pins. As the ball moves down the alley, the gravitational force pulls it towards the ground, causing it to curve slightly towards the center of the Earth.