Solving the Vertical Throwing Object on Moon vs Earth Gravity

• Thread starter emma123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, if an object is thrown vertically upward on the moon, it will go six times higher than it would on Earth.
emma123
If an object is thrown vertically upward on the moon how many times higher will it go than it would on Earth if they both have the same initial vel.

Acceleration on moon is 1/6 of what it is on earth

I need some help on solving this. Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick an initial velocity, let's say 9.8 m/s to keep it simple. On Earth do you know how high it would go?

how do you calculate to get the height?

Do you have kinematics formulas? Is this a high school class?

yes but i don't have the formulas or the textbook with me but only the questions because this is homework over the summer

Without doing any math, do you have a guess as to the answer?

is it 96.04m?

no. but I didn't mean the answer to my question in the 2nd post of this thread. I meant can you guess at the answer to your original question?

it'll go six times higher?

That wasn't too hard, was it? :)

o really? that's the right answer but can u teach me how to do it mathematically? because i have to show my work and steps in how to get the answer

Last edited:
Without doing your work for you, I can't. But there's a few threads similar to this one posted today on this same forum that will give you all the formulas you need. Get the formula, and determine why distance is linear.

can someone provide me the formulas i can't seem to find any of them in this forum?

If the acceleration is -a (negative because it is downward) and there is an initial velocity v0 upward, the velocity at time t is v= v0- at and the height is v0t- (1/2)at2. Can you figure out from that the time until the highest point and that height, both in terms of a and v0?

1. How does the gravity on the moon affect the trajectory of a vertically thrown object?

The gravity on the moon is approximately one-sixth of the gravity on Earth. This means that objects will fall slower and have a longer flight time on the moon compared to Earth.

2. What factors influence the trajectory of a vertically thrown object on the moon?

The trajectory of a vertically thrown object on the moon is influenced by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the gravitational pull of the moon.

3. Is the trajectory of a vertically thrown object on the moon affected by air resistance?

No, the moon has no atmosphere so there is no air resistance to affect the trajectory of a vertically thrown object.

4. How does the mass of the object affect its trajectory on the moon?

The mass of an object does not affect its trajectory on the moon as much as it does on Earth. This is because the gravitational pull on the moon is the same for all objects regardless of their mass.

5. Can the same equations be used to calculate the trajectory of a vertically thrown object on the moon and on Earth?

No, the equations used to calculate the trajectory of a vertically thrown object on the moon are different from those used on Earth. This is because the gravitational pull and other factors such as air resistance are different between the two bodies.