1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity in free fall equations

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    Why is gravity negative in certain equations, such as
    y = yi + vi t + (1/2) ( − g ) t^ 2 , but positive in others like
    vf^2 =vi^2 +2gh ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2
    It should be correct that the second equation you wrote is ##v_f^2=v_i^2+2(-g)h,## where my ##h## means the displacement of the object.
    If you write like that, you may regard ##h## as the height between ##x_i## and ##x_f##, where ##h## is always positive.

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on whether increasing values of y are upward (i.e., measured up from the ground) or are downward (i.e., measured down from a point above the ground, such as from the roof of a tall building). If increasing y is upward, the acceleration of gravity is in the opposite (downward) direction, so appears with a '-' sign. If increasing y points downward, the acceleration of gravity points in the direction of increasing y, so would appear with a '+' sign.

You can think about the second case yourself, but it essentially involves conservation of (total) energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted