Solve Gravity Lab Problem: Determine Accel Due to Gravity

In summary, the conversation is discussing a quadratic fit to a position plot and how to determine the acceleration due to gravity from the given equation. The equation y=4.97x^2+1.53x+.0503 is given and the individual is wondering if 4.97 represents half of the gravity and if 1.53 represents the initial velocity. Another person responds that the individual is on the right track and suggests writing the equation as y=4.97t^2+1.53t+0.0503 instead.
matt@USA

Homework Statement

Suppose that a quadratic fit to a position plot yields the following fit result: y=4.97x^2+1.53x+.0503, how would I determine the accelearation due to gravity?

Homework Equations

I know that y=1/2gt^2+Vnaught(t)+ynaught. I know that g is 9.87m/s^2. So in my original given equation, I know that 4.97 is half of the gravity, and 1.53 is my Vnaught. Would this be the answer they are looking for, or is there something I am missing?

The Attempt at a Solution

I may be exploring this question deeper then I should. I believe that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2, and the initial velocity of the particle would be 1.53m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, you have the right idea (though I for one wouldn't have written the initial equation as y = 4.97x^2+1.53x+.0503 - I would have written it as y=4.97t^2+1.53t+.0503, but that's just me being picky.)

That is just the way the lab gave the initial equation. I am working on my preliminary assignment. So I haven't actually done the problems yet.

1. How do you solve a gravity lab problem?

To solve a gravity lab problem, you need to gather data by conducting experiments or simulations. You will then use this data to calculate the acceleration due to gravity using the appropriate equations and principles of physics.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the center of the Earth or any other massive body. It is typically denoted by the symbol "g" and has a value of approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

3. What are the units for acceleration due to gravity?

The units for acceleration due to gravity are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, they may also be expressed in other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or centimeters per second squared (cm/s^2).

4. How can you determine the acceleration due to gravity in a lab?

To determine the acceleration due to gravity in a lab, you can conduct experiments involving objects falling under the influence of gravity. You can use tools such as a stopwatch, ruler, and inclined plane to gather data and calculate the acceleration using the appropriate equations.

5. What are some sources of error when determining the acceleration due to gravity in a lab?

Some sources of error when determining the acceleration due to gravity in a lab include air resistance, measurement errors, and external forces acting on the falling object. It is important to control these variables and repeat experiments multiple times to minimize error and obtain accurate results.