1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Lab Problem

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that a quadratic fit to a position plot yields the following fit result: y=4.97x^2+1.53x+.0503, how would I determine the accelearation due to gravity?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that y=1/2gt^2+Vnaught(t)+ynaught. I know that g is 9.87m/s^2. So in my original given equation, I know that 4.97 is half of the gravity, and 1.53 is my Vnaught. Would this be the answer they are looking for, or is there something I am missing?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I may be exploring this question deeper then I should. I believe that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2, and the initial velocity of the particle would be 1.53m/s?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2
    Nope, you have the right idea (though I for one wouldn't have written the initial equation as y = 4.97x^2+1.53x+.0503 - I would have written it as y=4.97t^2+1.53t+.0503, but that's just me being picky.)

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    That is just the way the lab gave the initial equation. I am working on my preliminary assignment. So I haven't actually done the problems yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook