1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Lab

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    I am working on a lab and I need to know the accuacy of gravity=-9.8m/s/s? So I need the +- blank after the -9.8m/s/s. -9.8m/s/s +- _________m/s/s

Thank you

Stephen Doty
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    Is there an accuracy error for gravity? Or do you just use the other number's accuracy error as the error of accuracy when doing f=mg. So the m has an accuracy is +-.02g so when doing f=mg what do I do for the accuracy error of gravity in the equation: total accuracy error= accuracy error of m/m + accuracy error of gravity/g.
  4. Jan 31, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the accuracy level of things you actually measure. g is not constant, it depends on geology and altitude among other things. But those aren't likely to be variables in your lab experiment.
  5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    So for the accuracy equation for the f=mg : total accuracy= (.00002kg)/0.2704kg + 0/(9.8m/s/s)

From the equation: total accuracy = accuracy of m/m + accuracy of gravity/g

And for f=mg do I use (-9.8m/s/s) or (9.8m/s/s)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?