Is Gravity Leaking Into Other Dimensions?

In summary, this theory suggests that gravity is weak because it is the result of two weaker forces, one from the attraction of all matter to each other and another from the bending of space-time. There is no need for extra dimensions to explain this, but this theory is still in its early stages.
phillip2810
Okay I'm definitely a layman but let me see if I can explain this. I recently heard of a theory that goes something like this: In relation to all the other physical forces in the universe, gravity is incredibly weak. To explain this, some think that our gravity is the result of a much more powerful force leaking into our dimension from higher ones. Or perhaps our gravitational force is leaking out into the lower dimensions. My question is about the validity of this theory. I don;t expect anyone to come out and prove it wrong or right or anything. But I was just looking for the opinion of someone with more experience than myself.

Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
This is pure supposition, it has no physical basis what so ever.

Hello phillip2810 and Welcome to PF. :smile:
I suspect that you might be stating things incorrectly. If you haven't seen this you should watch it. This likely covers the ideas that you have heard expressed, but in their proper form. :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241

actually I read something along those lines as well, it's been a while though so I don't remember where. I think it was in a magazine, either Discover or Scientific American, but it could have been one of about 100 physics books I've read in the past couple of years. I believe the article was about ways to "see" the extra dimensions

All forces are not equal and gravtiy does not need some sci-fi explanation to that. gravity is the result of two forces, one being the atraction of all matter to each other due to a part of string theory and another is the bending of space-time known as relativity. there is no need to make it more complicated with extra dimensions at all.

Hi,

Some string theorists say that gravity is so weak because gravitons can travel across the dimensions between branes.

juju

Hat_Man said:
All forces are not equal and gravtiy does not need some sci-fi explanation to that. gravity is the result of two forces, one being the atraction of all matter to each other due to a part of string theory and another is the bending of space-time known as relativity. there is no need to make it more complicated with extra dimensions at all.

Maybe you didnt know, but string theories all talk about 10 dimensions (or 11). So naming string theory as a cause of gravity and then saying there is no need for extra dimensions doesn't really make sense, unless you know a 4-dimensional string theory.

1. What is meant by "gravity leaking into other dimensions"?

Gravity leaking into other dimensions refers to the idea that the force of gravity, which is a fundamental force that governs the movement of objects in our three-dimensional world, may also have an effect on objects in other dimensions beyond the three that we can perceive.

2. How do scientists propose that gravity could leak into other dimensions?

One theory is that gravity particles, known as gravitons, may be able to move between dimensions and influence objects in those dimensions. Another theory is that the fabric of space-time may be connected across multiple dimensions, allowing gravity to leak through.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea of gravity leaking into other dimensions?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support this idea. However, some scientists believe that certain phenomena, such as the weakness of gravity compared to other fundamental forces, could be explained by the leakage of gravity into other dimensions.

4. What implications could gravity leaking into other dimensions have?

If gravity is indeed leaking into other dimensions, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how it functions. It could also potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies.

5. How do scientists plan to study the possibility of gravity leaking into other dimensions?

Scientists are currently using various methods, such as particle accelerators and gravitational wave detectors, to search for evidence of extra dimensions and the leakage of gravity into them. They are also using mathematical models and simulations to explore the potential effects of this phenomenon.