Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Lift

1. Aug 10, 2004 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Is there any research being done towards the concept of a gravity lift?

Is this purely a sci-fi idea or is there merit to it?

I haven't the slightest idea how gravity works or what the source of the force is, but I'd like to learn more.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2004 #2
    What is "gravity lift"?

4. Aug 11, 2004 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I don't know how it's supposed to work or if any authors ever bothered to explain it, but it's basically a means to lift off earth without using jet propulsion. You step into a field that somehow nulls or directs the affect (strength?) of gravity and you drift up, towards the sky.

Again, I have no idea how gravity works, it's something I hope to learn about and research eventually. I would, from this perspective, assume it is one of the lesser understood phenomena.

5. Aug 11, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Anti-gravity. No, its just science fiction at this point.

6. Aug 11, 2004 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

All you need to do is figure out what dark energy is and how to generate it with sufficient strength. NASA is still doing related work in this area.

7. Aug 11, 2004 #6
    yep, if you can find a way to create a large lump of mass above you, it will pull you up, but then again, the earth will be pulled too so.....

8. Aug 12, 2004 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm more interested in finding ways to deviate or interact with gravity. Of course, I have no idea how gravity works aside from the elementary, so it will definately be an area of study for me.

I've imagined for some time now that gravity is a ultra low frequency on the electromagnetic spectrum, or that somewhere, somehow, it fits in.

basically, I hypothesize that gravity is a frequency so low that it would take hundreds of years to detect the peaks of the wave. This could be a very pseudointellecual thought as I have no real physics education, only pop-science and other laymen influences.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?