Exploring the Gravity Model: The Impact of Photons on Mass and Tensor Theory

In summary, the author was thinking about how photons might model gravity and how the mass of a photon is not really mass because it has energy. He found a video on youtube that was very accurate and it starts with unified forces. He has a fairly deep understanding of how things "work" on the atomic scale and that video puts ranges in a simple perspective. He is not expecting to concoct his own quantum theory of gravity or anything just trying to get some basic concepts of anything and everything. He hopes that Peter Higgs would accept his apology.
jerromyjon
I was in deep thought about the mass of photons (assuming they only impart "mass" as they approach a given mass) and wondered how that might work to model gravity as a continual stream of "virtual" photons.
Does this sound unique or did I simply think up a way to describe tensors?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can model electrostatic forces with virtual photons, but not gravity. Photons do not have the right couplings and not the right spin.
Photons are massless, by the way.

Likes jerromyjon
mfb said:
Photons are massless, by the way.
I mean in the simplest sense it's the photon's energy which has mass and the only way this mass can be realized is when it effects an atom and it is no longer a photon but an "excitement" in that atom where it's mass is now apparent, however so slight. Which means I agree.
mfb said:
Photons do not have the right couplings and not the right spin.
I found the concept I was imagining presented in a youtube video (of all places!) as the Higg's concept, but I am severely scatter-brained and too distracted to get into it further. I've never read anything specific about Higg's and gravitons and how that entire scheme works but as far as the spin 2 thing goes they are nothing but words I've read, I have nothing to associate it with. Boson are spin 1, fermions are spin 1/2 does it follow photons are 1/4 spin or is it just 90 offset of the em with no spin? Ugh spin 1... nevermind I'm going to watch that video again at a better time!

jerromyjon said:
I mean in the simplest sense it's the photon's energy which has mass
It does not.

Youtube videos are not reliable references.
And I guess Peter Higgs would be unhappy about "Higg's".

mfb said:
Youtube videos are not reliable references.
I believe most of that 30 minute video is quite accurate and it starts with unified forces where gravity separates first and takes a trip inside the standard model like you have to see to believe. I have a fairly deep understanding how things "work" on the atomic scale, and that video certainly puts ranges in a simple perspective. I'm certainly not expecting to concoct my own quantum theory of gravity or anything just trying to get some basic concepts of anything and everything!
As for photons having no mass, alright! I believe you!
mfb said:
And I guess Peter Higgs would be unhappy about "Higg's".
I hope Peter Higgs would please accept my sincere apology, that's in the obscure chance he cares that I am extremely bad with names.

1. What is the gravity model and how does it relate to photons?

The gravity model is a mathematical framework used to explain the interactions between masses in the universe. It states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Photons, which are particles of light, also have a mass and therefore can interact with other masses according to the gravity model.

2. How does the gravity model support tensor theory?

Tensor theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the properties of space and time. The gravity model is based on the concept of curvature of space-time, which is a fundamental principle of tensor theory. The gravity model therefore provides evidence for the validity of tensor theory.

3. What is the significance of exploring the impact of photons on mass and tensor theory?

Studying the impact of photons on mass and tensor theory can deepen our understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It can also provide insights into the relationship between matter, energy, and space-time, which can have implications for fields such as cosmology and quantum mechanics.

4. How do scientists measure the impact of photons on mass and tensor theory?

Scientists use a variety of methods, including experiments and mathematical calculations, to measure the impact of photons on mass and tensor theory. These methods often involve observing the behavior of particles in high-energy environments, such as particle accelerators, and analyzing the data to make conclusions about the relationship between photons and mass/tensor theory.

5. What are some potential applications of the gravity model and tensor theory?

The gravity model and tensor theory have a wide range of applications, including in astrophysics, engineering, and technology. They have been used to develop theories about the origins of the universe, to design spacecraft trajectories, and to improve GPS technology. Understanding these theories can also lead to advancements in fields such as energy production and quantum computing.