Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Model Question

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    I was in deep thought about the mass of photons (assuming they only impart "mass" as they approach a given mass) and wondered how that might work to model gravity as a continual stream of "virtual" photons.
    Does this sound unique or did I simply think up a way to describe tensors?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can model electrostatic forces with virtual photons, but not gravity. Photons do not have the right couplings and not the right spin.
    Photons are massless, by the way.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    I mean in the simplest sense it's the photon's energy which has mass and the only way this mass can be realized is when it effects an atom and it is no longer a photon but an "excitement" in that atom where it's mass is now apparent, however so slight. Which means I agree.
    I found the concept I was imagining presented in a youtube video (of all places!) as the Higg's concept, but I am severely scatter-brained and too distracted to get into it further. I've never read anything specific about Higg's and gravitons and how that entire scheme works but as far as the spin 2 thing goes they are nothing but words I've read, I have nothing to associate it with. Boson are spin 1, fermions are spin 1/2 does it follow photons are 1/4 spin or is it just 90 offset of the em with no spin? Ugh spin 1... nevermind I'm going to watch that video again at a better time!

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It does not.

Youtube videos are not reliable references.
    And I guess Peter Higgs would be unhappy about "Higg's".

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5
    I believe most of that 30 minute video is quite accurate and it starts with unified forces where gravity separates first and takes a trip inside the standard model like you have to see to believe. I have a fairly deep understanding how things "work" on the atomic scale, and that video certainly puts ranges in a simple perspective. I'm certainly not expecting to concoct my own quantum theory of gravity or anything just trying to get some basic concepts of anything and everything!
    As for photons having no mass, alright! I believe you!
    I hope Peter Higgs would please accept my sincere apology, that's in the obscure chance he cares that I am extremely bad with names.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook