How Is the Net Gravity Force Calculated Between Earth, Moon, and a Rocket?

In summary: $$= (6.67 \times 10^{-11})(1200)\left( \frac{7.32 \times 10^{22} \times 10^8}{8.4^2}- \frac{5.98 \times 10^{24} \times 10^4}{3^2} \right)$$$$= (6.67 \times 10^{-11})(1200) \left( 7.32 \times 10^{30}\left( \frac{1}{8.4^2} - \frac{1}{3^2} \right) \right)$$$$= (6.67 \times 10^{-11
The Subject

Homework Statement

The Earth has a mass of 5.98*1024 Kg and the moon has a mass of 7.35*1022 kg. The distance from the centre of the moon to the centre of the Earth is 3.84*108 m. A rocket with a total mass of 1200 kg is 3.0*108 m from the centre of the Earth and directly in between the Earth and the moon. Find the net gravity.

Homework Equations

Fnet = [itex]\frac{Gm1m2}{r^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance from the rocket to the moon is 3.84*108-3*108 = 8.4*107
and the rocket to Earth is 3.84*108 m

E<--------R---->M
let right be positive

Fnet=Frocket to moon - Frocket to earth

Fnet=[itex]\frac{G(1200)(7.35*10^2)}{8.4*10^7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{G(1200)(5.98*10^2)}{3*10^8}[/itex]

Fnet=0.83 - 5.3 N

The answer is a negative, so the net force is pulling the rocket towards earth. Knowing this is wrong but what have i done incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps check how far the Lagrange point L1 is from earth?

The Subject said:
The answer is a negative, so the net force is pulling the rocket towards earth. Knowing this is wrong but what have i done incorrectly?

You dropped your units and as a result didn't realize you had a dimensionally incorrect result. Don't treat those dimensioned quantities as just numbers. Here's your error:
Fnet=[itex]\frac{G(1200)(7.35*10^2)}{8.4*10^7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{G(1200)(5.98*10^2)}{3*10^8}[/itex]
G has dimensions length3·time-2·mass-1, or units of m3·s-2·kg-1. That 1200, 7.35*1022, and 5.98*1024: Those are masses, in kilograms. The denominators 8.4*107 and 3*108 are lengths, in meters. The units of your expression are thus kg·m2·s-2 rather than kg·m·s-2, the units of force.

Homework Equations

Fnet = [itex]\frac{Gm1m2}{r^2}[/itex]
You didn't use this equation. You didn't square the distance in the denominator.It's a bit more cumbersome to do so, but always carry the units along in a computation. That extra little bit of effort will save your rear end many times over.

The Subject said:
and the rocket to Earth is 3.84*108 m
No it isn't. Read the problem statement again.
As well as the r2→r error D H pointed out, the powers of 10 in the numerator seem to have become truncated.

Fixed up the small errors that you guys mentioned

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance from the rocket to the moon is 3.84*108-3*108 = 8.4*107
and the rocket to Earth is 3.0*108 m

E<--------R---->M
let right be positive

Fnet=Frocket to moon - Frocket to earth

Fnet=[itex]\frac{(6.67*10^2 Nm^2/kg^2)(1200 kg)(7.35*10^{22} kg)}{(8.4*10^7 m)^2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{(6.67*10^2 Nm^2/kg^2)(1200 kg)(5.98*10^{24} kg)}{(3*10^8 m)^2}[/itex]

Fnet=0.83 N - 5.3 N

Fnet= -4.47 N

The values for the answers still the same cause I didn't write down the equation correctly here in PF (I'm sorry should have proofread more rigorously before posting). I'm still left with a negative value.

Since I made right positive, the Frocket to moon is positive since it is the force of the rocket towards the moon. The Frocket to earth is the force of the rocket in the direction to the earth, so its a negative value. Maybe my reasoning is wrong here?​

Last edited:
You have close to the right number, and it is pointing in the right direction (toward the Earth is correct). Round that to the precision indicated by the values in the problem and you will have the right answer.

In general it's a good idea to maintain a few more digits of precision in your intermediate calculations than the numbers indicate. You round to the indicated precision in your final answer.

The Subject said:
Fnet=0.83 N - 5.3 N

Fnet= -4.47 N

To add to D H's remarks, the sequence above is not valid. 5.3 is only to one decimal place, so you cannot quote two decimal place in the next line.​

I'm still left with a negative value

The L1 point is 3.23 * 10^8 meters from Earth and the spacecraft only 3.0 * 10^8 so negative (towards the earth) appears correct.

CWatters said:
The L1 point is 3.23 * 10^8 meters from Earth and the spacecraft only 3.0 * 10^8 so negative (towards the earth) appears correct.
I don't see any connection with Lagrange points. What's your thinking here?

haruspex said:
I don't see any connection with Lagrange points. What's your thinking here?
The net gravitational force at the point in question must be Earthward because it's closer to Earth than is the Earth-Moon L1 point and because the net gravitational force points Earthward at L1.

D H said:
The net gravitational force at the point in question must be Earthward because it's closer to Earth than is the Earth-Moon L1 point and because the net gravitational force points Earthward at L1.
OK, I see. (I thought it more obvious to consider the net zero point, which is about 3.46*10^8, but either will do.)

OK I admit it :-) I'd forgotten the zero point was a bit further from the Earth than L1.

haruspex said:
To add to D H's remarks, the sequence above is not valid. 5.3 is only to one decimal place, so you cannot quote two decimal place in the next line.

Okay, since the significant digits are 1 after the decimal point the answer is -4.5 N
. How about my calculation for Frocket to moon, i should limit it to 2 SD.​

D H said:
In general it's a good idea to maintain a few more digits of precision in your intermediate calculations than the numbers indicate. You round to the indicated precision in your final answer.

Or do the whole calculation entirely in your calculator without writing down (and rounding off) intermediate results and then keying them in again.

D H said:

Oh okay thanks D H!

jtbell said:
Or do the whole calculation entirely in your calculator without writing down (and rounding off) intermediate results and then keying them in again.

Alright! that's a good tip

You can also avoid keying in duplicate numbers (and possibly doing them inconsistently) by recognizing things that you can factor out:

$$F_{net} = (6.67 \times 10^{-11})(1200)
\left( \frac{7.32 \times 10^{22}}{(8.4 \times 10^7)^2}
- \frac{5.98 \times 10^{24}}{(3 \times 10^8)^2} \right)$$

1. What is the definition of net force in relation to gravity?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object when all individual forces are taken into account. In the context of gravity, net force is the sum of all gravitational forces acting on an object.

2. How is net force calculated for objects with multiple gravitational forces?

Net force is calculated by taking the vector sum of all individual forces acting on an object. This means that both the magnitude and direction of each force must be considered in the calculation.

3. How does distance affect the net force of gravity?

According to the law of universal gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This means that the net force of gravity will also decrease as the distance between objects increases.

4. Can the net force of gravity ever be zero?

Yes, the net force of gravity can be zero if the individual forces acting on an object cancel each other out. This can occur when the gravitational forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the net force of gravity?

The mass of an object affects the net force of gravity by determining the strength of the gravitational force. Objects with greater mass will experience a stronger gravitational force and therefore a larger net force of gravity.