What is the gravitational field of a flat disc?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gravitational field at any point on the z-axis for a flat disc with constant density. The correct potential function is given and the negative derivative of this gives the gravitational field. However, there is a force at z=0 which is not expected. The conversation then delves into the thickness of the disc and the correct potential and force equations are provided, taking into account the discontinuity at z=0. The derivative of the absolute value function is also discussed and it is concluded that there is no force at z=0.
speg
Hey guys, so I'm back in school after an 8-month break, and I'm feeling a bit rusty :rolleyes:

So I've got a flat disc of radius A, with constant density p, in the z=0 plane. I want to calculate the gravitational field at any point up or down the z-axis.

I integrated the potential over the disc got the correct potential function (which is given) of :

[tex]\Phi(z)=-G\rho2\pi(\sqrt{a^2+z^2}-z)[/tex]
So now I just take the negative derivative of this to get the Gravitational field, right?
[tex]G(z)=-\nabla\Phi(z)[/tex]
[tex] G(z)=-G\rho2\pi(\frac{z}{\sqrt{a^2+z^2}}-1)[/tex]

But this means there is a force at z=0 when I think there should not be... :confused:

[tex]How do I make a new line in Latex? \\ this doesn't seem to work? :@[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
speg said:
So I've got a flat disc of radius A, with constant density p, in the z=0 plane. I want to calculate the gravitational field at any point up or down the z-axis.

I integrated the potential over the disc got the correct potential function (which is given) of :

[tex]\Phi(z)=-G\rho2\pi(\sqrt{a^2+z^2}-z)[/tex]
So now I just take the negative derivative of this to get the Gravitational field, right?
[tex]G(z)=-\nabla\Phi(z)[/tex]
[tex] G(z)=-G\rho2\pi(\frac{z}{\sqrt{a^2+z^2}}-1)[/tex]

But this means there is a force at z=0 when I think there should not be...
What is the thickness of the disc? Where does that appear in your calculation?

The force/unit mass at (0,0,z) from a ring element of the disc of radius r thickness h and width dr would be:

[tex]dF = Gdm/s^2 = \frac{G\rho 2\pi r hdr}{r^2 + z^2}[/tex]

assuming h to be small compared to z. Integrate that from r = 0 to r = A.

AM

Last edited:
The potential is not correct, since it is not symmetric about the disk.
The proper potential is:
[tex]\Phi(z)=-G2\pi\rho(\sqrt{a^{2}+z^{2}}-|z|)[/tex]
yielding the proper force per unit mass along the z-axis (in the positive vertical direction) :
[tex]f(z)=2\pi\rho{G}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{a^{2}+z^{2}}}-\frac{z}{|z|})[/tex]
The limiting values as z goes to zero,
[tex]\lim_{z\to{0}^{+}}f(z)=-2\pi\rho{G}, \lim_{z\to{0}^{-}}f(z)=2\pi\rho{G}[/tex]
are the strengths of the force just outside the disk, on either side.
There is a leap of discontinuity across the disk, where AT the origin, the force is, indeed 0.

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{d|z|}{dz}=\frac{z}{|z|}[/tex]?

speg said:
[tex]\frac{d|z|}{dz}=\frac{z}{|z|}[/tex]?
Quite so. :smile:
The derivative of the absolute value function is not defined at z=0.

And so F cannot be defined at z=0? So we take that to mean there is no force there?

speg said:
And so F cannot be defined at z=0? So we take that to mean there is no force there?
No, it doesn't. It just means you have to consider the z=0 case separately.

What is the "Gravity of a Flat Disc"?

The "Gravity of a Flat Disc" refers to the gravitational force exerted by a flat, circular object. This force is responsible for pulling objects towards the center of the disc and keeping them in orbit.

How is the gravity of a flat disc calculated?

The gravity of a flat disc can be calculated using the formula G = (2πGσR) / (3M), where G is the gravitational constant, σ is the surface density of the disc, R is the radius of the disc, and M is the mass of the disc. This formula takes into account the mass and density of the disc, as well as the distance from the center of the disc.

Does the gravity of a flat disc vary across its surface?

Yes, the gravity of a flat disc can vary across its surface. This is due to the variation in distance from the center of the disc and the uneven distribution of mass across the disc. This means that objects placed at different points on the disc may experience slightly different gravitational forces.

How does the gravity of a flat disc compare to that of a sphere?

The gravity of a flat disc is different from that of a sphere. This is because a disc has a larger surface area and a smaller volume compared to a sphere of the same mass. This results in a weaker gravitational force on the surface of the disc compared to a sphere.

What are some real-world examples of the gravity of a flat disc?

Some real-world examples of the gravity of a flat disc include planets such as Saturn and Jupiter, which have a flattened disc shape due to their fast rotation. Another example is a spinning frisbee, which has a flat disc shape and experiences a small amount of gravity due to its mass and rotation.