What is the surface gravity on this distant planet?

• Thread starter sam2k2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations and equations involved in determining the free-fall acceleration on a distant planet, which has a mass of 1.19484 × 10^25 kilograms and a radius of 1.8*10^7 meters, which is 8 times larger than Earth's radius. The conversation also mentions past mistakes made by the speakers in similar situations.
sam2k2002

Homework Statement

You have been visiting a distant planet. Your measurements have determined that the planet's mass is twice that of Earth but the free-fall acceleration at the surface is only one-fourth as large. Radius = 1.8*10^7meters
Mass = 1.19484 × 10^25 kilograms

Homework Equations

U_g = -(G*M*m)/r
v_escape = sqrt(2GM/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged in the variables to the espace velocity equation and get 94km/s, but that's incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The radius was given in the first part of the problem.

Um. The radius and the mass are correct. But I get 9.4km/sec. Check the decimal point.

Feldoh said:
[tex]g_e = \frac{GM_{e}}{R_{e}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4}g_e = g_{distant planet}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4}*\frac{GM_{e}}{R_{e}} = \frac{G*2M_{e}}{R_{distant planet}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4*R_{e}} = \frac{2}{R_{distant planet}}[/tex]

[tex]R_{distant planet} = 8R_{e}[/tex]

g=G*M/r^2. It's force/mass not potential/mass.

Yeah, looks like I was just being retarded

Feldoh said:
Yeah, looks like I was just being retarded

S'ok. Reminds me of my post where I was strongly suggesting an OP integrate voltage over a gaussian surface to get enclosed charge. Duh.

Dick said:
S'ok. Reminds me of my post where I was strongly suggesting an OP integrate voltage over a gaussian surface to get enclosed charge. Duh.

Lol, guess we all screw up sometimes :rofl:

1. How does gravity on a distant planet compare to Earth's?

Gravity on a distant planet can vary greatly depending on the mass and density of the planet. Generally, the larger and more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. However, if a planet has a lower density, its gravity may be weaker than Earth's.

2. Can humans survive in a different gravitational environment?

It is possible for humans to survive in a different gravitational environment, but it would depend on the strength of the gravity and how long they are exposed to it. If the gravity is significantly stronger or weaker than Earth's, it could have negative effects on the human body and require adaptations for survival.

3. How does distance from the planet affect its gravity?

The closer an object is to a planet, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is why astronauts on the International Space Station experience microgravity, as they are further from the Earth's surface. However, once an object reaches a certain distance from a planet, the gravitational pull becomes negligible.

4. Is there a limit to how strong or weak gravity can be on a planet?

There is no known limit to how strong or weak gravity can be on a planet. In theory, a planet could have such a high mass and density that its gravity would be strong enough to crush objects on its surface. On the other hand, there could be a planet with such a low mass and density that its gravity is barely noticeable.

5. How does gravity on a distant planet affect the behavior of objects?

Gravity on a distant planet will cause objects to fall towards its surface at a rate determined by its strength. This is known as acceleration due to gravity. The shape and composition of the planet can also affect the behavior of objects, as well as the presence of other forces such as air resistance or magnetic fields.