What is the Force of Gravity Outside a Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force of gravity tangential to the long axis of a cylinder, using the method demonstrated on a web page. The formula for this force is found to be proportional to 1/r rather than the usual 1/(r^2) for a spherical body. The conversation then delves into the force of gravity perpendicular to the long axis of a cylinder and how it is independent of the length of the cylinder. It also mentions the potential for a hypothetical body with a gravitational field that attenuates relative to 1/r and the difficulties with using the Gaussian method to determine gravity. Other methods, such as integrating the total forces of infinitesimal "point" masses, are suggested for calculating the gravity/d
yuiop
With reference to this web page http://principles.ou.edu/earth_figure_gravity/index.html

I calculate the force of gravity tangential to the long axis of a cylinder to be proportional to 4GM/R where M is the mass per unit length of the cylinder. Does that seem correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
F is perpendicular to the long axis of a cylinder.

kev said:
With reference to this web page http://principles.ou.edu/earth_figure_gravity/index.html

I calculate the force of gravity tangential to the long axis of a cylinder to be proportional to 4GM/R where M is the mass per unit length of the cylinder. Does that seem correct?

No it isn't.

Did you use the Gauss's Law equivalent to calculate g?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
No it isn't.

Did you use the Gauss's Law equivalent to calculate g?

Zz.

I was trying to use the method demonstrated on that web page using an an imaginary Gaussian surface and the integral form of Poisson's equation. M is the mass contained within the imaginary volume of the Gaussian surface. For a cylinder I assumed the mass is proportional to [tex] 2 \pi R^2 p L[/tex] where L, R are length and radius of the cylinder and p is the density per unit volume of the cylinder. The integral of the Gaussian volume is [tex] \pi r L [/tex].

Using the formula given,

[tex] g(\pi r L) = 4\pi GM [/tex]

[tex]g = \frac{4GM}{r L} = \frac{4G (2 \pi R^2 p L)}{ r L} = \frac{8 \pi G R^2 p}{r} [/tex]

Where R and p are constants.

I am not sure if that is correct. I was just trying to interpret the method shown. I would like to know what the correct solution is.

What I am trying to establish is if the force of gravity perpendicular to the long axis of a cylinder is proportional to 1/r rather than the usual 1/(r^2) when considering a spherical massive body.

Last edited:
This paper seems to agree that the force of gravity perpendicular to a cylinder is proportional to 1/R.

http://www.pgccphy.net/103/gravity.pdf

Interestingly the force equation is independent of the length of the cylinder and so applies equally to the force of gravity perpendicular to the axis of symmetry of a thin disk. According to this, an object leaving a solar system that had a lot of mass at the perimeter of the system (in the form of a disk of meteorites for example) would experience greater gravitational acceleration than GM/(R^2) where R is the total mass of the solar system.

For a disk of uniform density the force of gravity on a test particle at a radius that is less than the radius of the disk appears to be independent of the distance from the centre of the disk. For a galaxy that happened to have an ideal disk shape and an even distribution of mass would have much greater orbital velocities consistent with F= GMm. For a more realistic galaxy with less than a perfect disk shape and greater density towards the centre the orbital velocities would be consistent with GMm/R > F > GMm/(R^2).

Last edited:
For an infinitely long cylinder, gravity diminishes relative to 1/r. For a infinitely large plane, gravity remains constant regardless of position. A long cylinder or a large plane closely approximate this if distances from the cylinder or plane are relatively small compared to the size of the cylinder or plane.

As an extension to the question in the OP what is the gravitational potential for a hypothetical body that has a gravitational field that attenuates relative to 1/r ?

I read somewhere that there may be difficulties with using the gaussian method to determine the force of gravity. Is it possible to calculate the gravity/distance relationship for a flat slab by another method such as integrating the total forces of infinitesimal "point" masses that make up up the slab?

I believe Newton used a similar method to calculate the gravitational forces of spherical shell when he concluded that the gravity of a large sphere is equivalent to that of a point particle of the same mass.

1. What causes gravity outside a cylinder?

Gravity is caused by the mass of an object. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull. In the case of a cylinder, the mass of the object itself is what causes gravity.

2. Does gravity behave differently outside a cylinder compared to other objects?

No, gravity behaves the same way outside a cylinder as it does outside any other object. The strength of the gravitational pull is dependent on the mass of the object, not its shape.

3. Is there any difference in the strength of gravity at different points outside a cylinder?

Yes, the strength of gravity outside a cylinder can vary depending on the distance from the center of the cylinder. The closer you are to the center, the stronger the gravitational pull will be.

4. Can gravity outside a cylinder be affected by external forces?

Yes, gravity outside a cylinder can be affected by external forces such as the gravitational pull of other nearby objects or the rotation of the cylinder itself. These external forces can alter the strength and direction of gravity outside the cylinder.

5. How does the shape of a cylinder affect gravity outside of it?

The shape of a cylinder does not have a direct effect on gravity outside of it. However, the mass distribution within the cylinder can affect the strength and direction of the gravitational pull outside of it.