Gravity < Planck Mass

• Thread starter jbunch
  • Start date
Is there any experimental or observational evidence that conclusively shows gravitational forces acting on mass that is less than the Planck mass? thx

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Does a grain of fine sand fall? Then you have your answer.

I should have been more explicit. I'm looking for verifiable info. on the limits of gravitational testability on a small scale. thx

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I say again, does a grain of fine sand fall? Why does this not count as gravitational testability?

It most certainly does. As I said, less than the Planck mass. Let's keep dividing that grain of sand by 2. Looking for a comprehensive list of experimental data that shows the experimental limit. thx

I don't get it. Are you saying that experiments haven't been carried out? And that there is not a limit to the experiments where we can verify in a lab a gravitational attraction? Doesn't sound crackpot to me. Just looking for the data.

Bill_K
Science Advisor
Insights Author
As I said, less than the Planck mass. Let's keep dividing that grain of sand by 2.
No need to make it smaller. The Planck mass is 22 micrograms, so such a grain of sand would be about a tenth of a millimeter across, easily visible to the naked eye.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I don't get this either. Don't we already have neutron-drop experiments? Isn't this smaller than 22 micrograms?

Zz.