Gravitational Forces on Mass < Planck Mass: Evidence?

In summary, the conversation is about the limits of gravitational testability on a small scale, specifically mass less than the Planck mass. The person asking for information is looking for verifiable experimental data, and provides a link to a paper showing a Gaussian distribution of Si with a length of 10^-12. They also mention neutron drops as a possible experiment.
jbunch
Is there any experimental or observational evidence that conclusively shows gravitational forces acting on mass that is less than the Planck mass? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Does a grain of fine sand fall? Then you have your answer.

I should have been more explicit. I'm looking for verifiable info. on the limits of gravitational testability on a small scale. thx

I say again, does a grain of fine sand fall? Why does this not count as gravitational testability?

It most certainly does. As I said, less than the Planck mass. Let's keep dividing that grain of sand by 2. Looking for a comprehensive list of experimental data that shows the experimental limit. thx

I don't get it. Are you saying that experiments haven't been carried out? And that there is not a limit to the experiments where we can verify in a lab a gravitational attraction? Doesn't sound crackpot to me. Just looking for the data.

Here's a good paper showing a Gaussian distribution on Si with a length order of magnitude 10 minus 12. Looking for hard experimental data.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.0457v3.pdf

jbunch said:
As I said, less than the Planck mass. Let's keep dividing that grain of sand by 2.
No need to make it smaller. The Planck mass is 22 micrograms, so such a grain of sand would be about a tenth of a millimeter across, easily visible to the naked eye.

I don't get this either. Don't we already have neutron-drop experiments? Isn't this smaller than 22 micrograms?

Zz.

thanks, hadn't heard of neutron drops.

http://www.int.washington.edu/talks/WorkShops/int_13_1a/People/Gandolfi_S/Gandolfi.pdf

1. What is the Planck mass and why is it important in studying gravitational forces?

The Planck mass is the unit of mass in the Planck scale, which is the scale at which quantum effects become important in the study of gravity. It is equal to approximately 2.18 × 10^-8 kilograms and is important because it is the smallest possible mass that can theoretically be observed. It also plays a role in theories attempting to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. How does the strength of gravitational forces change as mass approaches the Planck mass?

As mass approaches the Planck mass, the strength of gravitational forces increases significantly. This is because at such small scales, quantum effects become dominant and the classical laws of gravity no longer apply. Instead, a theory of quantum gravity is needed to accurately describe the behavior of gravitational forces on this scale.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of gravitational forces on masses smaller than the Planck mass?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of gravitational forces on masses smaller than the Planck mass. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest the existence of extra dimensions which could potentially lead to the observation of gravitational interactions on smaller scales.

4. How do scientists study gravitational forces on masses smaller than the Planck mass?

Since direct observation is not yet possible, scientists study gravitational forces on masses smaller than the Planck mass through mathematical models and simulations. They also use data from experiments, such as particle colliders, to test theories of quantum gravity and look for any potential effects of gravitational forces on the Planck scale.

5. Could the discovery of gravitational forces on masses smaller than the Planck mass lead to new breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe?

Yes, the discovery of gravitational forces on masses smaller than the Planck mass would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, and potentially lead to a unified theory that explains all fundamental forces. It could also lead to new insights into the nature of space and time, and the fundamental building blocks of matter.