1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity < Planck Mass

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    Is there any experimental or observational evidence that conclusively shows gravitational forces acting on mass that is less than the Planck mass? thx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Does a grain of fine sand fall? Then you have your answer.

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3
    I should have been more explicit. I'm looking for verifiable info. on the limits of gravitational testability on a small scale. thx

5. Sep 26, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I say again, does a grain of fine sand fall? Why does this not count as gravitational testability?

6. Sep 26, 2013 #5
    It most certainly does. As I said, less than the Planck mass. Let's keep dividing that grain of sand by 2. Looking for a comprehensive list of experimental data that shows the experimental limit. thx

7. Sep 26, 2013 #6
  8. Sep 26, 2013 #7
    I don't get it. Are you saying that experiments haven't been carried out? And that there is not a limit to the experiments where we can verify in a lab a gravitational attraction? Doesn't sound crackpot to me. Just looking for the data.

9. Sep 26, 2013 #8
    Here's a good paper showing a Gaussian distribution on Si with a length order of magnitude 10 minus 12. Looking for hard experimental data.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1210.0457v3.pdf

10. Sep 26, 2013 #9

Bill_K

Science Advisor

No need to make it smaller. The Planck mass is 22 micrograms, so such a grain of sand would be about a tenth of a millimeter across, easily visible to the naked eye.

11. Sep 26, 2013 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't get this either. Don't we already have neutron-drop experiments? Isn't this smaller than 22 micrograms?

Zz.

12. Sep 26, 2013 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook