Calculate Distance from Earth's Center: 11% Force

In summary, the question asks for the distance from Earth's center where the force of gravity acting on a space probe is 11% of the force acting on the same probe at Earth's surface. This can be solved by setting up a ratio between the two forces and equating it to the given value. By simplifying the equation, we can find the distance from the center of the Earth in terms of its radius.
physicshard22

Homework Statement

Determine the distance from Earth's centre where the force of gravity acting on a space probe is only 11% of the force acting on the same probe at the Earth's surface. express your answer in terms of Earth's radius,

Homework Equations

F = Gm1m2/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried plugging in the values but i can't seem to get the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down two versions of the gravitation equation:

Fs=Gm1m2/R^2
Fp=Gm1m2/r^2

where Fs is the force of gravity on Earth's surface and Fp is the force of gravity put in space. Fp/Fs = 0.11, as the question states. See what you can do with that.

The relevant equation given by you is for the force on the surface of the earth. If h is the distance of the probe from the Earth's surface, what is its distance from the center of the earth? What is the force on it? take the ratio of these forces and equate it to the given value and solve for h.

i don't understand

h/h' = 0.11?

then what can i do?

terms of R, what is h and h' for Fs and Fp?

rl.bhat said:
terms of R, what is h and h' for Fs and Fp?

h = 1r
h' = 2r

physicshard22 said:
h = 1r
h' = 2r
No.
h is r and h' = r + H where H is the height of the probe from the surface of the earth. find H.

so it would be r/r+h = 0.11?
how do i solve with 2 unknowns?

You have to write h in terms of r.

this is so confusing can you give me another hint?

Did anyone get the answer so i can compare?

give us the radius and mass of Earth ur using

The question doesn't give it

r/(r+h) = 0.11
r = 0.11(r+h)
Now simplify and find h.

1. How do scientists calculate the distance from Earth's center using 11% force?

Scientists use mathematical equations, specifically the Universal Law of Gravitation, to calculate the distance from Earth's center based on the 11% force exerted on an object. This equation takes into account the mass of the object, the mass of Earth, and the distance between the object and Earth's center.

2. Why is 11% force used in this calculation?

11% force is used in this calculation because it represents the average force of gravity at Earth's surface. This force is known as the acceleration due to gravity and is equal to 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. How accurate is this method of calculating distance from Earth's center?

This method is highly accurate and is used by scientists to calculate the distance from Earth's center to various objects, such as satellites and spacecraft. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes a perfect spherical shape for Earth, which may not be entirely accurate.

4. Can this method be used for objects at any distance from Earth's center?

Yes, this method can be used for objects at any distance from Earth's center. However, the accuracy may decrease for objects that are extremely close to or far from Earth's surface.

5. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating distance from Earth's center?

Yes, in addition to the force of gravity, other factors such as the rotation of Earth and the presence of other celestial bodies can affect the distance from Earth's center. These factors may need to be taken into account for more precise calculations.