Solving Gravity Problems in Physics

• Thread starter gohanssj2a99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the first question involves a college student throwing a book upwards with a velocity of 8.0m/s and the roommate catching it at a speed of 3.0m/s. The questions ask for the time the book was in the air and the distance it traveled in the upward direction. The second question involves calculating the speed at which two divers initiated their dive based on their height and the speed at which their heads entered the water. The equations used in these problems likely involve gravity.
gohanssj2a99
Gravity Problem??

Homework Statement

1) A college student wants to toss a textbook to his roommate who is leaning out the window directly above him. He throws the book up with a velocity of 8.0m/s. The roommate catches the book while it is traveling 3.0m/s upward.
a.) How long was the book in the air?
b)How far did the book travel in the upward direction?

2.) During the 2004 Summer Olympics Emilie Heymans and Blythe Hartley won Canada's first meals with 10.0m synchronized dive. If the divers' heads entered the water 55km/h and each diver was 1.6m tall, at what speed did they initiate their dive?

Homework Equations

Not Sure But Gravity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was supposed to be their for the lesson but i couldn't because i had a doctors appointment, and i am completely clueless on this lesson and i don't want to be left behind in physics. So far I am understanding it but i don't know what equations they're asking for in these questions. I'm guessing though we have to include gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org

1.1 the book was thrown upward with an initial speed of 8 m/s, but after the thrower lost contact it lost speed at a rate of 9.81 m/s per second. So how many seconds do you think the book has been traveling up when it has reached a speed of 3 m/s?

1. How do you solve a gravity problem in physics?

In order to solve a gravity problem in physics, you need to first identify the variables involved, such as the mass of the objects, their distance apart, and the gravitational constant. Then, you can use the equation F = G(m1m2)/d^2 to calculate the force of gravity between the objects. If you need to find the acceleration due to gravity, you can use the equation a = Gm/r^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the center of the object.

2. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by the symbol G, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the strength of the gravitational force. It is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2, and it is used in equations involving the force of gravity, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

3. How does the force of gravity change with distance?

The force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

4. How does mass affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects involved. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the force of gravity it exerts on another object also increases. This relationship is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

5. What is the difference between weight and mass in a gravity problem?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. In a gravity problem, mass is typically given in kilograms (kg) while weight is given in newtons (N). It is important to note that weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, but mass remains constant.