1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Q

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    The question is....Strictly speaking, you weigh less (tiny bit) when you are in the lobby of a massive skyscraper. Why is this so?

I need help...I'm not asking for the answer...just some direction
    I'm confused because I thought the greater the distance from the earth's center, the less weight of an object.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2
    Well you are in a massive skyscraper right? :smile:

4. Jul 25, 2006 #3
    Okay...I'm still lost...did you see I edited my original post...greater the distance from the earth's center, the less weight...so why do you weigh less in a building

5. Jul 25, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Weigh less compared to what?

Less than you would at the top of the skyscraper or less than you would on a beach at the same elevation?

The universal law of gravitation applies to all masses, not just when one of the masses is the Earth. The skyscraper has mass, you have mass, therefore the there is a gravitational attraction between you and the mass of the skyscraper above you.

That's why I ask the question "compared to what?" Considering the magnitude of the masses involved, changing your elevation relative to the center of the Earth would have more of an effect than the mass of a mere skyscraper above you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?