Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity question

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    ok, this may seem comical, but here it goes,:blushing:

lets say I dig a hole right trough the planet, ignoring the heat at the core and bla bla bla
    and I get to the exact middle of the sphere. how will be the efffect of gravity there, will I get tossed from one side to the other of will I just keep going feeling nothing has changed.Or will I stay stuck in the middle,lets say I trow myself down this hole, will I like pop out the other end then fall back in and pop at the end from where I jumed in? and so on so forth, how would my fall be affected.
    thanks again, for shedding some light on my poor understanding of this phenomenone.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you shovely your way to the center of the earth, you will be stuck there. Gravity at the center of the earth is zero. If you jump into a hole bored all the way through the earth, you will yo-yo back and forth. Air friction will slow you down with each cycle until, once again, you end up stuck in the middle with you.

4. May 21, 2009 #3
    also you would resonate. the time to reach the center would not depend on the height of your starting point.

5. May 22, 2009 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook