1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity question

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    Im just a little confused on a question dealing with gravity.

ok so if i am standing on a roof and i throw a ball downwards with an acceleration

the acceleration of the ball will be the acceleration i applied to it plus the acceleration of gravity correct?

or is it just the acceleration of gravity because after i let go of the ball there is not force being applied to it which will therefore cause it not to accelerate faster than gravity.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your last statement is the correct one.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    You do accelerate the ball with your hand before you let go, giving it a certain velocity, but once it's left your hand, the only acceleration is due to gravity (ignoring slight resistance from the air).

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

6. Jul 30, 2011 #5
    Yep. The force that you apply acts only for that instant of time when you interact with the body. After that, it's all up to gravity to do it's job ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook