Gravity Question: Acceleration of Ball After Release?

• Thread starter mybrohshi5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, when throwing a ball off a roof, the acceleration of the ball will initially include the acceleration applied by the thrower's hand, but once the ball is released, the only acceleration acting on it is due to gravity.
mybrohshi5
Im just a little confused on a question dealing with gravity.

ok so if i am standing on a roof and i throw a ball downwards with an acceleration

the acceleration of the ball will be the acceleration i applied to it plus the acceleration of gravity correct?

or is it just the acceleration of gravity because after i let go of the ball there is not force being applied to it which will therefore cause it not to accelerate faster than gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:
Im just a little confused on a question dealing with gravity.

ok so if i am standing on a roof and i throw a ball downwards with an acceleration

the acceleration of the ball will be the acceleration i applied to it plus the acceleration of gravity correct?

or is it just the acceleration of gravity because after i let go of the ball there is not force being applied to it which will therefore cause it not to accelerate faster than gravity.

Your last statement is the correct one.

You do accelerate the ball with your hand before you let go, giving it a certain velocity, but once it's left your hand, the only acceleration is due to gravity (ignoring slight resistance from the air).

Yep. The force that you apply acts only for that instant of time when you interact with the body. After that, it's all up to gravity to do it's job ;)

1. What is the acceleration of a ball after it is released?

The acceleration of a ball after it is released is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

2. Is the acceleration of a ball affected by its mass?

Yes, the acceleration of a ball is affected by its mass. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net external force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a lighter ball will have a greater acceleration than a heavier ball when released.

3. How does the height of release affect the acceleration of a ball?

The height of release does not affect the acceleration of a ball. As long as the ball is released from a stationary position, its acceleration will remain constant at 9.8 meters per second squared due to the force of gravity.

4. Does air resistance affect the acceleration of a ball?

Yes, air resistance can affect the acceleration of a ball. As a ball falls, it experiences air resistance which can slow down its acceleration. However, this effect is typically negligible for small objects like balls dropped from typical heights.

5. How can I calculate the acceleration of a ball after release?

The acceleration of a ball after release can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net external force acting on the ball, and m is the mass of the ball. For objects falling near the surface of the Earth, the net external force is usually the force of gravity (9.8 meters per second squared) and the mass can be found by weighing the ball.